- Twenty-ninth -

Taehyung's eyes widened, his breath caught in his throat.

"What?"

"H-Hm, let's break off our engagement, since apparently that's what everyone wants."

Except for me. Jungkook wanted to add, but restrained himself.

The poor boy was curled up in bed, his eyes red from crying. Lately, he'd been contemplating the possibility that Taehyung might end up leaving him. It was one of his worst nightmares. He hadn't thought that this nightmare would become reality, and that this reality would be so brutal. He still found it hard to believe.

Taehyung was no longer his. It was so painful. It hurt absolutely everywhere, but the most unbearable pain was in his chest. He wanted to die. He couldn't live without Taehyung. No matter how many times he told himself that he was a cheating bastard who'd thrown him away like a piece of trash, and that he shouldn't sink so low for a guy like him... He couldn't. His whole life revolved around Taehyung. Without him, he was absolutely nothing.

"Don't talk rubbish Jungkook, we're not going to break up at all." Taehyung replied, his tone suddenly harsher.

Jungkook held back a laugh.

"Isn't that what you want? Otherwise you wouldn't have got engaged behind my back to that walking mannequin!"

This girl, Haneul, had everything going for her. She was pretty, elegant, kind and mature. Everything Jungkook wasn't. Honestly, he'd never understood what Taehyung saw in him. He didn't like himself. He'd never liked himself. Even his own parents had never liked what he was. So how could Taehyung find anything attractive about him?

He heard Taehyung sigh from the other side of the door.

"That girl isn't worth a hundredth of what you are, Jungkook". he sighed. It's a misunderstanding."

"Liar."

Taehyung moved a little closer to the door, pressing his forehead against the white wood.

"My love, if only you knew... If only you knew how much I love you. Every second I spent in the army was dedicated to you. Ever since I first laid eyes on you, you've been a constant in my thoughts."

He paused, sincerely hoping to get Jungkook's full attention. He did.

"I know I've hurt you today in ways I can't even imagine. But I never wanted this. Because you're the only person I have in my life. That woman, that... shit, I can't even remember her bloody name... she came out of nowhere, I don't want anything from her... Jungkook, you're the only one who will carry my name..."

Jungkook felt his chest warming at these words. But his insecurities caught up with him immediately.

He's lying.

She was much prettier than you.

You'll never make him happy.

Leave him, it's better for you to end your life alone.

Your life is worthless, end it.

He won't even cry.

The tears began to roll down his cheeks again. He plugged his ears, hoping to block out the voices that pierced his heart like sharp blades.

"I don't believe you. I can't believe you. I know what I'm worth. It was obvious you'd end up leaving me. I knew you would."

Taehyung held back his tears too. His baby looked so broken, it was unbearable. How could it have come to this? Everything was fine until a week ago. But since Hyeri had brought that John into their lives, everything had gone downhill.

Taehyung was almost certain that the two women had been plotting together. The timing was too perfect. It was a set-up, to get Jungkook to turn his back on him. How dare these two witches use Jungkook's insecurities to drive them apart?

"Darling, I think we have a lot to talk about. Discussions that we've avoided for too long. We're a young couple, it's normal to have ups and downs, but we have to be able to get through them, together."

He ran his tongue over his lips nervously, hoping that his words would soothe the teenager.

"We'll take it one step at a time. But for now, you have to believe me. That engagement my mother told you about is as lie. I've made things clear. You can even look it up on internet if you like, I'm sure everyone's talking about it already."

He paused, waiting for some sort of reaction from Jungkook.

"Please, my love, open this door. Let me see you. After everything that's just happened, I need you in my arms."

He waited again, really hoping that Jungkook would agree. But nothing happened. Maybe Jungkook needed more time. Maybe he needed to let him think about it. But it was so hard. He just wanted everything to go back to the way it was.

He sighed again, and moved away from the door.

"I understand, darling. I know you need some time, so I'll leave you to it. But that doesn't mean I'm giving up. You're mine, Jungkook, so I'll never leave you. I'll come back, again and again, until you're in my arms again. Because that's where you belong."

He turned and headed for the stairs, at the bottom of which Yeona was surely waiting for him, hoping that he had succeeded in comforting Jungkook. But it was a failure. All those years reduced to ashes. Their trust shattered, because of a stranger. It was absurd, and Taehyung couldn't accept it.

The bedroom door suddenly opened, stopping Taehyung in his tracks. The man turned round and his surprised gaze met Jungkook's red and uncertain one.

"Kook-"

"You really did accuse her of homophobia..."

It took Taehyung a few seconds to realise what he was talking about. So he did go and check on internet.

"Because she is."

Jungkook looked away, a pout forming on his lips.

"Even if it's not today, you'll end up leaving me."

"Never."

Taehyung didn't hesitate for a moment. Because there was no need to hesitate. If Jungkook ever left him, he'd slit his wrists. He wasn't the type to promise things he wasn't sure of. But he and Jungkook were a certainty.

"I'm full of flaws. I haven't changed since you left. I'm still the capricious, immature kid I was two years ago."

"And you think that's a problem? Seriously?"

Jungkook frowned, before looking up at Taehyung. And the man looked very serious.

"Jungkook, you seem to be the only one who doesn't realise that the more tantrums you throw, the more I like it."

"W-What?"

Taehyung smiled.

"I fell in love with you, Jungkook. Not some idealised version of you."

"You have absolutely no reason to love me."

Taehyung's smile only got wider, and Jungkook's heart missed a beat facing this boxy smile that was only for him.

"If I had any reason to love you, I'd have left you the day that reason disappeared. So yes, I love you for absolutely no reason. That's why I'll never leave you, Jungkook."

~🍁~

I think we all want a Taehyung in our life😩💕