23

(two days later)

(two days later)

I got up from my chair and walked towards the meeting room, with my phone in my hand.

I walked into the room and sat on my chair, overlooking everyone else. "Okay, guys. Everyone show me what you have been working on so far." I said, as everyone began showing their presentations to me.

 After two hours, I walked out of the meeting room, back towards my office. I was just about to open my office door and walk inside, when Zayd grabbed my hand and pulled me aside.

 "Adam!" Zayd urged.

 "What happened?" I asked him.

 "You don't know?" he asked me, annoyed. "Naz had been ringing you for ages!" 

 "What?" I asked him, as I looked at my phone and indeed, I had gotten so many missed calls from Nazeera.

 "Oh, sorry. I was in a meeting." I said. "Tell me, what happened? "

 "Oh god. You're such an idiot, you actually don't know. I thought you'd sense it, like in those stupid romance films, that when their loved one is in distress they can feel it, but obviously you can't, so I'll just tell you... Kyra's dad passed away and she's not listening to Nazeera, she's locked herself in her room." he finished as I stared at him in horror.

 "What?" I asked him, fuming. I was so angry at myself that I had not noticed the phone calls.

 "Yeah. Also don't worry about Ayra, she's at school. You just go and look after Kyra, I'll handle everything here." Zayd said as I nodded.

I scurried into my car, thoughts consuming my mind. What if...? NO. Kyra couldn't do that, she had Ayra to look after now too.

I arrived outside her house and parked my car, getting out rapidly. I did the doorbell, my nerves jumping around in my body. Then, Nazeera answered the door.

 "Finally, you're here." she said, giving me a sad smile.

 "Where's she?" I asked her, as she let me into the house.

 "She's in her room, it's locked." Nazeera said. "Please, try to get her to open it, she might listen to you."

 "I'll try my best." I said and I walked upstairs to her bedroom.

I reached her bedroom door and knocked on it, lightly. "Kyra, please can you open the door?" I asked her.

The sobbing stopped and I heard her take a breath. "Adam?" she asked, her voice muffled.

 "Yes love. Please, open the door. I need to see you." I said, my voice soft.

 "No, I can't." Kyra said. "I'll feel worse. I need to fight this on my own."

 What was she on about?

 "Kyra love, I'll be here the whole time." I said and sat in front of the door, my back against the cool wood.