Mitch~ Call

Rowan in his arms, combined with the thoughts of his new office and ever-cementing relationship with Noah, had Mitch feeling as though he was dreaming. A dream he never hoped to wake from.

Everything he'd ever wanted in life was seemingly being thrown in his lap all at once, and a part of him feared that he might be setting himself up for a world of hurt.

Looking towards Noah, who was swooning his way, had his mind changing again, as he couldn't imagine their relationship being anything but better with every passing day.

The fact that he'd accepted to be his, even knowing the obvious future with Rowan in their lives, made him even more sure that he needed to keep Noah by their side no matter what.

His family.

Heartwarming pangs hit him as Amelia again readied herself to leave.

"I really must be heading out, as I have a meeting with a friend from far away who has traveled far just for my company. I really mustn't keep them waiting. Feel free to stay as long as you like, though some of my staff may pop in here or there to grab food for their families."

Mitch could see the looks of care from all of Amelia's attendants as they grabbed whatever they knew she might want from the left-behind smorgasbord. To be so loved by staff said a lot about a person, and he felt even more proud to possess such a friend as Amelia.

"We should show our little cheese monster your new office? Don't you think?"

"That's a great idea."

"Da!"

Rowan's word had a sleepy sound to it, which wasn't surprising to Mitch considering all Gregory had probably had him do in addition to all the sandwiches he'd happily stuffed in.

"His bottle is empty. But there's stuff in the bag. Let me make one really quick before we head over."

"Thanks, my sweet."

Noah's beam at the pet name had Mitch's arms itching to grab him for a kiss, though he resisted the impulse as he hugged a settling into his arms Rowan to him.

The bottle was grabbed just as Rowan's eyes shut, and Mitch carried him as they walked back down to the office area.

"I guess he's going to miss it."

Noah's light words and chuckle were followed by a hand on Mitch's back, which sent chills up his spine as he turned and gave in to kiss his love on the lips.

"Ha, what was that for."

"What do you mean? Now that you've agreed to be my boyfriend, I'm going to need to kiss attack you at least 6 times a day. Minimum."

"Haha. Oh really. Should I be writing all these rules down? There's not gonna be a quiz later is there?"

"I would say privileges more than rules, but yes. There will be a physical exam certainly in your future."

He let the inuendo sit in the air as he walked with Rowan towards the small back entrance that led to his own little parking lot.

"We can probably just go out this way, unless we forgot something back upstairs."

"No, we have everything."

Noah again looked around in awe at the place as his hands went to his hips.

"Gosh. This place really is something isn't it. I'm so excited for you."

Mitch went up behind his love as close as possible, sniffing his neck before leaving a quick peck and ear nibble.

"You're fucking amazing, and I love you."

"Love you too."

The words sounded shy but hit Mitch's ears like they'd been yelled with gusto, and he held in the urge to cheer.

"Let's get to the store to get the last of the stuff we need, and then maybe we can just hang out at home for the rest of the day."

"I'd like that."

Noah's phone ringing had them both looking towards his back pocket in surprise.

Mitch hadn't seen him touch it for most of the time they'd spent together, and he couldn't stop himself from wondering who would be calling his boyfriend.Their relationship was so new, it wouldn't be strange to find out gradually of other important people to Noah that Mitch hadn't yet met.

"Hello? Oh hey Grace I-"

The relief in Mitch's heart at the knowledge of Grace on the other line was short lived as Noah's face dropped its smile first to panic, and then shifted to one of no emotion, which was scarier to Mitch than any expression he'd seen on Noah so far.

"I'll be right there. Just give me an hour. Tell her that. Thanks."

Grace's voice could be heard shouting from the other line as Noah hung up.

"You all right? What was that about?"

Noah's expressionless face changed temporarily to a fake smile as he looked towards Mitch wistfully.

"I forgot that I have a shift today. Grace needs me."

Mitch knew the second Noah said it that he was lying, and not only did it hurt, but it made him wish they could be close enough that Noah wanted to share everything. He knew that came more with time than relationship status, but it still didn't stop the sting from hitting the pit of Mitch's stomach like a hard rock settling.

Rocking Rowan absent-mindedly in his arms, Mitch got over his hurt to again attempt to figure out how best to help his love.

"I...know that's not true. What's going on? I don't care, just want to help. I really care so much for you, you know."

Noah's face finally snapped from its far away place to reality, staring with a pained, scared expression that had Mitch rushing the two steps between them to put his head on Noah's shoulder.

"What is it? Please. Share. I'll do whatever I need to to help you."

"I...my ex...I just...Can't yet. I'm sorry. Not till I've fixed it."

"Fixed what?"

"Can you drop me off at my place please?"

Mitch's heart dropped and he took another large sniff of his lover's light, musky scent before raising his head reluctantly.

Noah's face was again lost in expressionless thought, and Mitch knew this was something he would have to take a step back from if he wanted to keep Noah in his life, no matter how hard it was going to be for him and his take charge and fix everything attitude.

"Of course, I can, my sweet. Let's head out. Just give me a call when you're ready to be picked back up."

The hesitation in Noah's voice had Mitch's heart pounding in his ears.

"I will, I promise."