18

FROM THE ASHES
— 18. Wedding From Hell

In Shaera's chambers, the Targaryen woman sat on a chair as she and Morro played with Daemion

In Shaera's chambers, the Targaryen woman sat on a chair as she and Morro played with Daemion. She smiled softly as she glanced at Viserra, who sat at the window longingly.

"Staring out that window won't make Rhaenyra and the lot of them come back any faster, My lady," Morro spoke up and Viserra didn't even bother to look at him.

"Perhaps she waits for Daemon and Rhaegon," Shaera suggested, she and Morro sharing a smile.

Viserra scoffed at her mother and her sworn protector's taunting. She glanced down, rubbing her hands along her swollen belly. The maesters had told her she was to give birth within a fortnight. It frightened her, to say the least.

She was a girl of five and ten. She was to be a mother, with a cruel husband. Her heart ached at the thought of it being a girl, knowing how upset he'd be.

The dragon in her hoped it to be a girl, just to spite him. But Viserra knew it wouldn't end well. She couldn't kill him. Not when her mother already had the reputation, it would be Shaera that was blamed. Viserra didn't want that for her mother.

If only there was a hunting accident, perhaps--

"Viserra!" Shaera called out loudly, earning a hum of response from her daughter, "Did you hear what I said?"

Viserra finally turned to look at her mother, who smiled as she watched Daemion and Morro ran around together. "What?"

"Have you thought of any names?" Shaera asked with a small smile but her daughter seemed to have the opposite. The girl rarely smiled anymore and each time Shaera had pressed her about it, she received coldness in return.

"Baelon if it's a boy and Daena if it's a girl," Viserra spoke softly, looking back out the window.

"Baelon is a wonderful name," Shaera praised her, knowing Viserra chose it in honor of her grandfather, "And Daena--"

"In honor of my father," Viserra replied calmly, earning an uneasy look from Shaera.

Shaera sighed, on the verge of speaking up. Instead, she watched as her daughter stood up, moving toward the door to leave. She stopped to press a kiss to her mother's cheek and then left without saying a word.

"She shuts me out, more so since Daemon's departure," Shaera whispered to Morro, worry filling her eyes, "She is hurting. I try to ask her why, but she lashes out in anger. Just like her father. They have the same fire in them, a fire that burns so fiercely it frightens me."

Morro nodded in understanding. He squeezed Shaera's arm in comfort, leading to the woman resting her head on his shoulder.

"I fear I am slowly losing my baby girl as I lost her brother," Shaera spoke softly, tears beginning to fill her eyes, "This court is poison and it takes each of my children. It changes them. And not for the better."