Chapter 2 of the other story to tie you over

TW. Murder. Underaged Prostitution. Larys Strong. Implied SA

Chapter Two- According to Plan

Sometime in 1774

Luke Winters knew what unrest looked like. The instability of a nation or kingdom and the disaster that comes with it. Even as a child of ten he tried to warn those in his town of his worries only to be looked at with disgust. Accused of causing commotion to gain attention or sympathy.

Which is to be expected of a street rat like him. Luke could feel the war coming in his veins, and saw the unrest and the tension from those around him. He needed stability to survive this and he needed it now.

Luke could feel eyes upon him as he walked into an Alleyway to get away from the crowds gathering around one of the yelling in the streets. A proud speaker that spoke of fighting and revolution, proud but too outspoken and not careful at all. He’ll only cause himself trouble if he talks that way.

“Hey boy.” A voice called from beside him.

Luke stopped.

His first mistake.

A woman in rich clothing stood next to him and looked at him with kind eyes. No, not kind but not cruel. They were violet but they could never compare to those his mother had. She had beautiful red hair tied back in an intricate bun and a forest green dress that fit her in all the right places. A cane was in her delicate hands as she smiled down at him.

The smile could cut glass if it got close enough.

“Yes ma’am?” Luke asked, weary of any stranger.

“How polite. Where are your mother and father, little one?” She smiled down at him with deceptively soft eyes as she asked after him.

“I do not have anyone looking after me.” Luke admitted just waiting for her to shoo him away.

“You speak well for a boy with no formal education. Is there no one looking for you then?” She asked again.

“No ma’am.” He answered as she clicked her tongue.

“Such a shame for a pretty little thing like you to be out here. It is dangerous for little ones like you to be weathering the world alone. Why don’t you come with me? You’ll have to work hard to earn your keep but you will be fed and warm.” She offered.

“Promise?” Luke asked excitedly.

“You have my word sweet boy. My name is Madame Wynters and you will be in my care from here on.”

Her honeyed words masked the truth as a spider lures an insect in its web and devours it. It wasn’t long until Luke saw her for what she was as she showed him the work she expected of him.

She had taken him to a large apartment on the side of the city, run down and broken but Luke wouldn't begrudge shelter for at least one night.

“You will of course be expected to earn your keep my dear. Don’t worry too much I will have my best children show you the ropes. I can already tell that you will do splendidly. Jasper! Felix! Alexander!” She yelled out as three boys a little older than Luke fell in line.

“Yes ma’am?” The three of them fell in line as they looked curiously at Luke.

“This is Luke, he will be joining our family. He's a little younger than our usual boys but he’s a polite one so be kind.”

“Of course ma'am.” One of them said in a thick accent.

“Good boys. Now off you go.” She dismissed them before placing a kiss on Luke's head.