Travis the Special-Attraction Engine

Travis The Traction Engine was being readied for the show! His yellow paint was spotless, and his brass shone in the warm sunlight!
"He's as clean as we can make him." Sister Hildegard boasted. "No one will out shine him at the show!"
"Yes indeed." Sister Birgitta flounced. "We've put the special in special attraction."
Travis beamed with pride! But he was still puzzled.
"If I may ask?" He quizzed. "What does a special attraction do?"
"Just smile and blow whistles at everyone." Sister Hildegard replied. "And take all the children around!"
Travis understood, it only served to make him more excited. What didn't excite him was his route. With the storms that had been plaguing the island, Travis wasn't sure if any main roads would be out of commission. As he set out from the church parking lot, he had no clue the trouble that would be waiting for him.

Travis chuffered along the road. All around, lay fallen trees and splintered fences.
"Oh deary me!" Sister Frances marveled. "This is dreadful!"
"I hope the parade isn't canceled." Sister Birgitta added. "Wouldn't that be awful!"
"Cheer up." Chuckled Sister Jeanne. "It's a sunny day now!"
As they neared the barber shop station, Sister Hildegard tapped the pressure gauge.
"Looks like you're low on water." She sighed. "We'll fill you up at the railway station."
Travis smiled. He hoped he'd see one of the engines, and indeed he did. As he trundeled into the mud covered yard, Travis, and the nuns, were delighted to find Donald in the yard.
"Aye, well, well, well!" Donald beamed. "Dinnie ye look smeart!?"
"I know!" Travis replied. "I'm taking part in the parade! I'll be taking children around the town, and smiling and blowing whistles at everyone!"
"Aye, if this sterm doesn'e stop ye.." Donald murmured. "Yer lucky, at least ye have another route, I'm stuck here fer a while."
"Oh? How come?" Sister Jeanne asked.
"A trees fallen down up the line." Donald's driver explained. "We're waiting for Brewster and the workmen, but they're stuck near the works."
"Maybe we could help?" Travis asked. "It'd be no trouble!"
"But what about the parade?" Sister Anita cut in. "We cannot be late, or spoil our lovely polish job!"
"We'll have plenty of time." Travis reasoned. "Besides, for the good faith."
"Oh, alright." Sister Hildegard sighed. "But we must be quick."
"Och, lad, yer a life saver!" Donald cried. Once Travis' tank had been filled, he set out towards the downed tree.

The road was bumpy, thick puddles of mud sprayed up onto Travis and his cart. But, at after a short trip, the fallen tree came into view.
"Let's be quick!" Sister Frances huffed. "This tree might be just too heavy!"
"It's always worth a try." Smiled Travis. Soon, Travis was hitched to the tree. And, with all his might, the traction engine began hauling the heavy tree off the line! His wheels churned in the mud, and his smoke rose high in the air, but as last, the line was clear!
"Phew!" Huffed Travis! "That was hard work!"
"And look at your paintwork!" Cried Sister Jeanne. "It's filthy!"
"And after we worked so hard to ready you for the parade too." Sighed Sister Birgitta. "What a pity."
They phoned ahead, and began their journey once again. As they did, Donald rattled past with his trucks.
"Peep! Peep! Thank you!" Donald whistled. "You are a special attraction after all!"
This made Travis feel much better.

They reached the show, late and muddy, but to a chorus of cheers all the same!
"Playing in the mud are we?" The townsfolk teased. "At least you made it for the parade!"
By the time the parade was over, Travis felt exhausted. He stopped at the junction on his way home, only to feel the evening sun shine on his grubby yellow paint.
"If all I needed to do was smile and blow whistles at everyone." He chuckled happily. "I think I deserve some penance."