Hesitation

Mistral

Piedmont, California - September 10, 2012 - 8:30 PM

Mistral flopped onto her bed, sighing contentedly. Earlier that day had been Mettaton's first ever show, which she'd convinced her mother to tape for her- but in a way, she'd gotten to watch it twice. She'd been too excited in class to pay attention, instead tuned in to Mettaton while he was filming. He'd made no effort to stop her, seemingly basking in the attention. He certainly was conceited, but in this case, that worked for her.

In her experience exploring Mettaton's mind, she'd had to absolutely take the good with the bad. It seemed to be the only way to be friends with him. After all, he was egotistical, vain, and ambitious to a fault. But... He was also kind and protective by nature. And his optimism shined. He truly wanted to help people. That part of him was admirable.

It was strange, being so intrinsically connected to another person. Suddenly everything made sense, and yet it was impossible to fully wrap her head around. Obviously she was different from him, in numerous ways. But they shared similarities, and that was where the blurriness came in. Where she felt lost and confused and questioned whether anything about her was real.

And her parents... the way they looked at her now, it was... different. Like she was unfamiliar to them. Still, they were supportive. Dad was especially enthusiastic. So she had to be grateful. Even if she didn't enjoy it much, being scientific progress.

Mettaton didn't treat her that way. He... wasn't kind, exactly, but he viewed her as an equal to him in this crazy situation. It was deeply refreshing. He was somewhat distant, but that could get better with time. Mistral hoped it would. After all, they weren't separating anytime soon. Alphys wasn't sure it would even be safe to attempt such a thing. So they both had to make the best of the situation. And that started with friendship.

Despite her thoughts racing, it wasn't long before she began to drift off. She had had a long day, after all. Was that all life would be now? She hoped not. She hoped things would start to get easier soon...

She opens her eyes in a clearing. Woods. She's never been to the woods before. Mistral turns in a full circle, trying to make sense of her surroundings. On one end of the clearing, there rests something that causes her to see strange flashes in her mind as soon as she looks at it. Images of- of her cousins, fighting some monstrous entity she can't see. But as suddenly as the visions came, they disappear. And she sees that the object resting is a statue.

Grey and covered in overgrowth, the statue is a strange pyramid shape, wearing a snazzy top hat and bowtie. The most striking feature, however, is the one, catlike eye in the middle, somehow familiar. And it seems to be looking right at her. Its hand is outstretched as though beckoning to her, asking her to take it. She steps forward, not breaking eye contact. Why does this feel so familiar?

"Who are you...?" Mistral murmurs, searching her memories. It frustrates her that she can't find the answer.

"NAME'S BILL CIPHER!" A loud voice makes her jump, whirling around. "PLEASURE TO MAKE YOUR ACQUAINTANCE! ALWAYS NICE TO MEET A PINES KID!"

Floating in the air behind her is a yellow triangle that looks like a two-dimensional version of the statue, his eye wide. A chill runs down her spine. Something in her SOUL can feel how powerful this creature is. It makes her afraid.

"AW, DON'T BE SCARED, LITTLE- UHHH..." The triangle- Bill- seems contemplative for a moment before snapping his fingers and pointing at her. "LIGHTNING STAR! THAT'S WHAT I'LL CALL YA!"

"My name's Mistral." She informs him.

"I KNOW!" Bill seems as though he's beaming. "BUT I LIKE TO GIVE PEOPLE LITTLE NICKNAMES! FOR FUNSIES! FOR INSTANCE, YOUR COUSINS ARE PINE TREE AND SHOOTING STAR! AND YOUR ROBOT FRIEND IS LIGHTNING BOLT!"