Mistake

Mettaton

Ray Pines' Lab - October 10, 2012 - 1:05 AM

Things had been going rather well with Mettaton's show ever since the song. Part of that was probably attributed to Mettaton now being a radio hit, but generally, his show was getting high ratings. Lots of people- humans- were talking about him as the next big thing. He was monsterkind's rising star, of course, and now he belonged to the humans as well. He got recognized outside of work, and even got invited to some boring, stuffy, fancy parties. Truth be told he could not stand those, but he was an actor, after all.

He did have to be up tomorrow for a show (and he was sure Rose would make sure he was up early), but Howard wanted him to release an album sometime over the next month. So despite the hour, he was hard at work on new music. It was certainly proving to be a challenge all by himself, but he wouldn't dare ask Blooky or Shyren for help again.

Neither of them had spoken to him since he'd blown up at them. He couldn't blame them, certainly, but it was frustrating that there hadn't been an opportunity to apologize, or explain himself, or admit to who he really was... he tried not to let those things weigh on him. Thinking such sad thoughts would not do for the image he was meant to portray in his music.

Before he could reorient himself, however, his phone made a gentle chiming sound. He'd forgotten to turn his Instagram notifications off again. He sighed, picking up his phone to turn those off, otherwise surely he'd never get any peace, but the message caught his eye. A single DM from an account called @skyblueralph, asking him to collaborate. It wasn't as though others hadn't asked Mettaton such questions from time to time, which he'd had to turn down due to imaging, but something about this guy's profile resonated with him.

skyblueralph: Hey! I've been tuned into your show for a bit now. Your song is so catchy! I know you're working on an album, and I actually make music myself! I know this is a shot in the dark, but I was really hoping we could collaborate!

mettagramOfficial: Thank you so much for the support, darling! Always happy to hear from a fan.

What kind of music do you make? It's possible if it aligns with my brand, I may be able to make something happen.

skyblueralph: I actually just posted a song I wrote, if you wanna check that out! Looking forward to hearing what you think!

mettagramOfficial: Sounds fabulous! I'll have a listen now!

Mettaton navigated to the account of Ralph Alvarez, who was apparently the same age as him. That was a fun coincidence. Nobody really knew Mettaton's real age, especially since he was marketed as all robot. The chances of being allowed to collaborate were so slim, but... the kid reminded him of himself, in a way.

Watching the video where Ralph just sat on his bed, played guitar, and sang, Mettaton felt a stirring in his SOUL. To Ralph, nothing seemed to matter but the music and portraying his feelings through it. It was so raw, so authentic, so loving, as he sang of his love for his little brother Jack and getting away from it all into nature. Ralph had talent. This was the kind of musician Mettaton had always wanted to be.

As soon as he thought it, his smile faded. He'd tried authenticity and emotion, and look what had happened. Howard would never agree to this. Or worse... he'd love it, and it would mean Mettaton had abandoned Shyren and Blooky for nothing. Or Ralph's authenticity would make Mettaton's carefully crafted persona look pathetic. There was so much that could go wrong.

He had to reply, right? He had to say something? But he didn't really want to be the one to crush this guy's dreams. He was cowardly like that. Maybe he could be honest and hope for the past? Honest about his conflict about his worries? No, that would never work. What could he say? Blooky and Shyren's devastated faces floated in his mind. This was impossible!

OH, LIIIIIIIGHTNING BOLT~!

Bill suddenly interrupted him with a gleeful tone, sounding absolutely ecstatic. Mettaton dropped his phone on the desk, welcoming the distraction. Bill had been silent for such a long time now. Mettaton had started to wonder about his whereabouts. But now he was suddenly back, without warning, just as sudden as his disappearance had been.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT! I'M A VERY BUSY DEMON, THAT'S ALL! Bill reassured Mettaton with a laugh. I'M HERE NOW, KID!

Busy with what? Mettaton asked curiously. He hadn't realized that Bill would have a life apart from him. That made Mettaton feel slightly less special.

JEEZ, KID, YOU ARE SELF-ABSORBED! Bill clicked his tongue. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ALL THAT! THE TIME HAS COME FOR YOU TO FULFILL YOUR SIDE.

Mettaton paused before thinking up a response. He'd forgotten about his side of the deal, truth be told. But he'd be glad to get that part over and done with so he could freely enjoy the rest of his fame. He was grateful, of course, but it was unsettling to owe people.

You never said what that would be, exactly.

WELLLL... Bill dragged it out for a little too long. Mettaton was itching to find out. TO TELL YA THE TRUTH, I'M A LITTLE BIT TRAPPED! I CAN'T LEAVE THIS BORING, BINDING PLANE OF EXISTENCE. THAT'S WHY I CAN ONLY SPEAK TO YA LIKE THIS! BUT YOU CAN CHANGE THAT. THINK YOU'RE UP TO THE TASK, LIGHTNING BOLT?

...I'm not sure. I don't know anything about such extreme magic. Mettaton mostly had trivial defensive magic. The most use he got out of his powers were adding sparkles and such with his illusions. He really was all smoke and mirrors. Are you sure I'm the right person to ask?

I'M CERTAIN! Bill was adamant. TRUST ME, KID. ALL WILL BE REVEALED AT THE DESTINATION!

Destination? Mettaton tilted his head. He had to go somewhere? What are you talking about?

WELL, YOU CAN'T DO IT HERE... Bill said dismissively. THE ONLY PLACE THAT IT'LL WORK IS OREGON! GRAVITY FALLS, OREGON!

Mettaton knew that name. He was pretty sure that was the place that Mistral's cousins had visited over the summer. If he remembered right, it was full of strange creatures and occurrences. But that was so far away. Mettaton had a show tomorrow.

Bill, you cannot be serious! I can't just up and leave! I have a show to do tomorrow!

YOU CAN AND YOU WILL.

He flinched. Bill's voice was harsh, harsher than Mettaton was used to. He hadn't really spoken like that before. It was shocking. His mind felt foggy now. He got up, no longer resisting. Why was he just going along with this? Something was tugging at his SOUL, tugging him north towards Oregon.

He wouldn't disobey Bill. Of course not. He would do as Bill asked as long as he had to. That was the deal. Bill was the entire reason Mettaton had his show, after all. But he could at least leave a note. If he wasn't back by morning, if he was late... at least a note would help explain things.

He grabbed his favourite pink pen and wrote a brief note of explanation in sparkling, swirly calligraphy. There. That should do it. He took a moment to admire his signature, which was now perfect. Writing as a robot had taken some getting used to, but now he was practiced at it.

GET A MOVE ON ALREADY, WILL YA?

Right.

Mettaton turned around and went out the door, careful not to wake a SOUL, slipping through the dark lab. No one heard him leave, and no one would know for some time, until a certain redhead would grow impatient and kick open the door to his room the following morning.

But by that time, it would be too late.