Confusion

Mistral

Ray Pines' Lab - September 5, 2012 - 4:27 PM

Where had this dizzy sensation come from? There'd been a bright flash, accompanied by a sense of confidence and pride, and then confusion, and then... Mettaton was gone now. Ran away abruptly. Had Mistral done something wrong? Was this... her fault, somehow?

"Mistral?"

She looked up suddenly at the source of the concerned voice. Somehow she'd drifted back over to her cousins, and yet they still seemed so far away. Like she was underwater, and they were back on land, trying to pull her above the waves.

"What's up?" Mabel pulled her to sit down on a chair. "You seem... like, really out of it."

"Yeah, did something happen?" Dipper glanced suspiciously in the direction Mettaton had left in. "Did that guy do something...?"

"N-No, I..." Mistral shook her head. She didn't know what had happened. But Mettaton had been just as confused as she was, Mistral was sure of it. "There was just... I don't know. My head hurts."

"I'll go find Uncle Ray." Dipper rushed off into the lab. Mabel stayed behind with Mistral, holding her arm.

"Don't worry, Mistral." Mabel reassured her, chipper. "Your dad's super smart, so he'll figure this out."

Mistral nodded, but she wasn't so sure. If this was a monster thing, that was nothing her dad knew about. He'd just barely started his research. How could he know what this was? And anyway, her head was starting to clear up. So there was that, at least.

"Sweetheart, are you all right?" Dad rushed up beside her, kneeling down to examine her face. His brow was furrowed with worry. "Dipper was so vague... you do look pale."

"I'm okay, dad." Mistral forced a smile. "I just had a dizzy spell. Not a big deal."

"Anemia, maybe?" Dad pondered, staring at the floor. "No... it wouldn't just suddenly happen, I don't think... Mistral, what were you doing right before this happened? Was it right after you stood up?"

"N-No, it was... when I touched Mettaton, it happened... like, a weird... spark thing."

Dad stared at her, appearing dumbfounded. He blinked a few times. Mistral heard him mumble 'magic...?' under his breath, looking away from her again. Mistral recognized this look. If she let him, he would get lost in his thoughts forever, taking notes in his head. She tapped his arm. He startled out of it.

"Oh! Right." He cleared his throat, standing up. "I'm not sure what that would be about. After all, I've interacted with that one a few times myself, and nothing like that has ever happened. But, I have an idea of who might have answers."

"Really?" Mistral got to her feet, feeling a burst of excited energy.

"Yes." Dad chuckled, offering an arm for her to lean on. Mistral didn't really need it, but she gripped her father's arm as though it was a lifeline. Feeling the fabric of his too-long sleeves made her feel comforted and safe. "I'll introduce you to her. You're okay to walk?"

"Yes!" She giggled, walking along with him, still clinging to his arm. Dipper quickly followed, notebook at the ready. Mabel bounced along behind him. They walked through the lab towards one of the smaller research areas. Inside, a short yellow dinosaur was engaged in a book. Dad pried himself away from Mistral to rap gently on the glass door.

"Dr. Alphys?" He addressed the yellow monster. She practically jumped out of her skin, her book falling to the floor. Mistral caught a glimpse of a sparkly teen girl with cat ears before Dr. Alphys hid the book behind her back with a guilty expression. "Sorry to interrupt your research. I know I said I'd give you space, but I have somewhat of an... urgent inquiry."