Chapter 27

Time

Katulad ng sinabi ni Mama ay pumunta siya sa sumunod na araw sa school para i-proseso ang ang pag-transfer ko. Sumabay siya sa akin pagpasok ng school at hindi ko alam kung paano niya ito sinabi kay Dad ngunit alam kong alam na nito ang balak kong pag-alis.

"Good morning, Mr. Castro..." bati ni Dean sa amin. As we stepped into his office, we were led to a sofa where drinks and snacks were thoughtfully arranged on the table.

"I believe that you're here to process your son's request, right?" panimula niya.

“Yes,” Mama responded, looking at the paperwork that needed to be signed. He appeared eager to get things sorted out.

Dean nodded thoughtfully, his expression indicating that he was waiting for further clarification. “It’s really unfortunate to hear that your son will be moving to another school, especially since he is the top student in his class. Even his teachers are surprised by this news, but I guess, we can't do anything to change his decision.” he said, his voice reflecting a mix of regret and understanding.

“This wouldn’t have happened if this school didn’t have a bully,” Mama remarked. Both Dean and I were taken aback by Mama’s blunt comment.

Mama?!

Agad na lumipat sa akin ang mata ng matandang lalaki. "A-Are you bullied, Grey? That's why you're transferring?" nag-aalalang  tanong nito.

Agad akong umiling at hinawakan ang kamay ni Mama. It seemed that Mama understood the situation and responded with a forced laugh, attempting to ease the tension in the room.

“It’s just a joke, Dean. I apologize if it caused any discomfort,” Mama said, though his attempt to lighten the mood was met with only a strained smile from the elderly gentleman.

Hanggang sa matapos ang meeting ay parang nasa malalim na pag-iisip ang Dean. He maintained only polite and strained smiles to Mama and the atmosphere remained uneasy until we eventually concluded our visit and left his office.

"I'm sorry, Grey... hindi ko lang mapigilan sarili ko kanina..." paliwanag niya nang mahatid ko siya sa parking lot kung nasaan ang kotse.

I gave him a reassuring smile, "It's okay po. Thank you po sa pagpunta. Take care on your way home, Mama."

"I will. I love you." he kissed my forehead and went inside the car.

Nang mawala na sa paningin ko ang kotse ay dumiretso na ako ng building para sa susunod kong klase.

At habang nasa klase, ang tanging laman lang ng utak ko ay kung paano ko ipapaliwanag ang paglipat ko ng school sa mga kaibigan ko, natatakot ako sa magiging reaksyon nila, lalo na kay Sierra.
Magagalit iyon sa akin hindi nga ako nagkamali sa mga sumunod na araw.

"You're going to what?!" Sierra exclaimed, her eyes widening in disbelief.  Nasa pantry kami ngayon at kumakain ng lunch. Ito na ang huling linggo na masasamahan ko siyang kumain sa pantry na 'to.

Yung dalawa ay hindi namin kasama dahil may pupuntahan daw. Ever since they started officially dating, they'd often sneak away to spend more time together, which was understandable. Kaso dahil doon ay nahihirapan akong kausapin sila tungkol dito.

"I'm going to transfer schools," I repeated, my voice steady despite the turmoil inside me.

Nahulog ang panga niya at litong-lito sa sinabi ko. "But why?" she demanded, her brows furrowing in a mix of concern and confusion. "This is a prank, right?" Her voice had a hopeful lilt, hoping that I was joking.

Nginitian ko siya ng malungkot at umiling, "It's not a prank, Sierra. I'm serious. I'm really going to transfer to another school."

"Why?!" Her frustration bubbled over, her voice cracking with the force of her emotion. Her hands clenched into fists on the table, and I could see the hurt in her eyes. She was on the verge of tears, and it broke my heart.