chapter 16 - Chance.

3rd POV

The footsteps stopped, and there was silence for a moment. Craig couldn't see anything from his hiding spot, but he could feel the tension in the air.

He could hear his mother moving around, but he couldn't tell exactly where she was or what she was doing. The suspense was excruciating.

Every second felt like an hour as Craig waited in the closet, his ears strained to catch any noise from his mother. The seconds ticked by, each more excruciating than the last.

He could hear his mother moving around, the sound of her footsteps echoing off the walls. But he still couldn't see anything, and he had no way to know whether she was getting closer to the closet or not.

After what felt like an eternity, Craig heard the footsteps moving away. He waited a few more moments, listening keenly to make sure his mother had left the room.

Once he was sure, he slowly opened the closet door and stepped out, his heart still racing.

He was relieved that he hadn't been discovered, but he was still filled with questions and worries. He couldn't shake the images and emotions he had felt while reading his mother's journal.

But he also knew that he needed to be more careful. He couldn't afford to be caught snooping through her personal belongings again.

He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself. He glanced at the journal on the shelf, tempted to read more, but he knew he couldn't risk it.

With a heavy heart, he turned away from the shelf and headed back to his room

Craig then went downstairs and saw his mother standing in front of the table while reading some paperwork

Craig hesitates for a moment, still feeling a bit on edge after his close call in the library. But he decides that he needs to talk to his mother.

He approaches her, clearing his throat to get her attention.

She then sighs and then answers back to craig.

Mother: "What do you want, craig."

She says as she keeps on reading the paperwork, not looking or turning to look at craig

Craig feels a slight pang of frustration at his mother's dismissive tone. He takes a deep breath and tries to keep his emotions in check.

Craig: "I just..wantedto say something to you." he says, his voice slightly strained.

Mother: "Like, what?"

Craig hesitates for a moment, trying to find the right words. He knows that what he's about to say could cause conflict. Craig then hugs his mother when she wasn’t turning to look at him

Craig: "Im sorry."

She then flinched when she got hugged by her son and then felt confused and shocked at what's happening right now. she turns and sees craig hugging her, and she doesn't know how to respond back since she has never been loved at a child but hugged craig back

His mother's surprise at the hug was evident, but she allowed him to hold her for a moment. Craig held onto her tightly, feeling a mixture of sadness and affection.

He wanted to say so much to express the emotions that had been stirred up by reading the journals and seeing his mother's past.

But for now, the hug spoke louder than words.

The room was silent except for the sound of their breathing. Neither of them spoke for a moment, the emotions of the moment too complex and tangled to put into words.