Sides of the Bed

When Eddie wakes up, he refuses to open his eyes. He can tell he's facing Buck, one arm wrapped around him. Buck has one arm around him as well. His hand is rested on his back, tracing shapes. Eddie moves in a little closer, then buries his face in his neck.

"Good morning, Baby."

Eddie groans into his neck before pulling back to look at him. His eyes slowly blink open as Buck's hand pulls away from his back and lands on the side of his face, his thumb rolling over his cheek. Once his eyes are fully open, Buck leans in to press his lips to Eddie's. It only lasts a few seconds before he pulls away.

Eddie stares at him, then takes a deep breath in to prepare himself for what he's about to say. "I should go."

"You know... you don't have to. I know we said one night, but if we stay here and don't look out the window, we can pretend its still night." His fingers slip back into Eddie's hair, and it almost gets him to reconsider... almost.

"No... no, I need to go." Eddie pulls back and rolls off the bed and stands up. It's not till now that his head is clear enough to realize he was on Buck's side of the bed. Too many nights together to count and not once has he ever fallen asleep or woken up on Buck's side of the bed. It takes him by surprise for a second, but then he snaps out of it. "I have to go." He starts walking over to where his clothes fell on the floor the night before and starts putting them back on.

"You okay? You in a rush or something?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." He won't look back at him. Suddenly he's much more frantic in his attempt to get dressed.

"Hey, come here for a second. Talk to me."

"Buck, we said one night. It's been one night. I should go." His voice is a bit more demanding this time, which does not calm buck one bit.

"I get that. We don't have to do anything. You just seem freaked out, and I want to make sure you're alright before you go. I'm not trying to keep you here longer than you want to be or anything."

"I'm fine. I just don't think it's a good idea for me to be here longer than I need to be."

"Can... Can you at least give me a kiss goodbye. We never get to kiss goodbye." They've never shared a kiss where they both knew it would be their last. Just one kiss goodbye. It's all he wants.

"No. It's not a good idea. I'm leaving. I'll see you later. At work or something."

"You don't want to hang out before then?"

"I... I'm going now." He can't say no, he can't say yes. The best he can do is go down the stairs.

"Okay, now I'm freaking out, Eddie. Can you please just-"

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" He doesn't actually wait for a response; he just walks out the door.

Buck sits there and relays the night in his head. He knew he would do this, but he didn't expect to do it trying to find what he did wrong. Not once did Eddie hesitate, not once was there even the smallest sign that he wasn't ready, but Buck still sits there, telling himself he should have known he wasn't ready anyway. That's the only explanation. Eddie woke up and regretted his decision. Eddie wasn't ready.

He picks up his phone. He has to talk to someone. He can't call Eddie because... well it's about him and he just left. He can't call Maddie. He loves his sister, but he feels like this is the one thing she'd really judge him on. He can't call Hen. He'd only get an 'I told you so' and he just really needs someone to listen. There aren't many other people that know. There's Sophia, who of course he can't call. Then he thinks of the perfect person. Bella. She has no connection to Eddie; she showed no judgment when being told the story the night before. He dials her number, and the phone is answered pretty quickly.