15) Safe

Drake-

"The baby is fine," Margaret sighed.

She and Dr. Williams have been attending Tiara for hours. Margaret finally stepped out and conferred his worries.

"The knife missed the baby by an inch. They'll have a small scar, but it's nothing serious." Margaret smiled. "I heavily medicated Tiara; for the next three months, she must remain in bed. She can get up to walk around, get fresh air, and use the bathroom. No excessive work or stress."

Drake pressed his back against the cool, rough wall surface and slowly sank to the floor. His body felt heavy with the weight of his worries, draining him of all his energy.

"My student will stay behind and nurse Tiara back to health," Margaret looks at the hall. "Don't hide from me, Amadeus."

Amadeus steps out from his hiding spot. "Margaret, lovely as ever."

"Have you finally decided to stop running from your failures?" She didn't sugarcoat her remarks. "The Elder can't solve all your problems. She kept your son hidden, but it's time you take back your clan."

Drake stood. "I'm going to see Tiara; I'll leave you two to talk."

He left them to their conversation; as much as he wanted to know about their relationship, he wanted to see Tiara.

The room felt cold and dark; the curtains had been closed.

"Why is it so cold?"

"Her body temperature has reached dangerous levels," Dr. Williams said. "Yes, a wolf is hot to the touch, but we have a limit."

Drake sat on the chair and looked at Tiara's pale face. She has lost color and seems skinny.

"The curse is affecting her," Dr. Williams has been informed about the curse. "It's why she's more emotional."

Drake grasped Tiara's delicate hand and kissed it. She feels different.

To think the curse affects her emotions like this, Drake wants to get rid of it as soon as possible.

"Is there a way to remove it faster?"

"No," the witch said. "We must do it the safe way. Rushing it will only hurt her or make it worse."

Drake tsk.

He tucks Tiara's hand under the covers. She flicked her eyes open for a moment before losing consciousness again.

"She'll be like that for a while," Dr. Williams checks the monitor. She had brought equipment to monitor Tiara and the baby's vitals. "I'll come back to check on her."

Drake leans back. He won't leave her side unless he has too.

He did have to leave to let Salome know what was going on.

He sat her on the bed and smoothed her hair. "Mommy is alright, but she needs to stay in bed for a few months; we can't bother her too much. You can see her and kiss her, but that's it. Be a good girl and listen to the witch; she will care for you for a while."

Salome sniffle. "Is the baby alright?"

"Yes," he kissed her temple. "Now, get some sleep, you too, Veronica."

Veronica was already in bed, tucked under the covers and holding a bunny plush.

He left the room, leaving the night light on.

It's going to get hectic for the next few months. Drake will ensure Salome gets to school and doesn't fall behind. He can't let the problems of home affect her life.