✦ | CHAPTER 50 | ✦

Karthik's POV 

At Hyderabad

 Watching Vennela, with her serene expression, gracefully accepting blessings during the Seemantham ceremony, filled me with an overwhelming sense of love and gratitude. Yet, as I stood by her side, my thoughts drifted back to the last six months in the U.S.—a time of joy, excitement, and also challenges that tested our patience and love for each other.

Pregnancy wasn't easy for her, and there were moments when the mood swings took a toll on both of us. I remember coming home late from work one evening, exhausted from a long day, only to find Vennela in tears. At first, I panicked, thinking something was wrong with the baby. But it turned out that she was upset about something I hadn't even noticed—the way her clothes were fitting. She kept saying how much weight she had gained, how she no longer looked like the skinny girl she used to be, and how she felt unattractive.

"It's like I don't even recognize myself in the mirror anymore, Karthik," she said, her voice trembling with emotion. "I feel so... big. And you probably don't even find me attractive anymore."

Those words hit me hard, not because they were true, but because I realized how deeply her insecurities were affecting her. I had noticed her changing body, of course, but to me, it was a beautiful reminder of the life we were creating together. Yet, I hadn't been vocal enough about it, and now I was seeing the consequences of that silence.

"Vennela," I said softly, taking her hands in mine, "you're beautiful. I don't see anything but the amazing woman who's carrying our children. This weight, these changes—they're all part of the miracle we're experiencing together. And I love you even more for it."

But she was inconsolable that night, and my words didn't seem to reach her. I could only hold her close, trying to comfort her as best as I could. Over the next few days, I made a conscious effort to reassure her, to remind her every chance I got that she was still the most beautiful woman in my eyes. I'd leave little notes around the apartment, complimenting her or expressing my excitement about the baby. I made sure to plan our weekends around activities that made her feel good, whether it was a relaxing day at the spa or a quiet picnic by the lake.

One evening, she got upset because I hadn't shaved in a few days. "Karthik, you look so unkempt with that beard. Can't you at least try to look a little better? I mean, I'm doing everything I can to feel good about myself, and you're just letting yourself go!"

I was taken aback. It wasn't like her to be so critical, and it stung a bit. But instead of arguing, I simply nodded. "You're right, Vennela. I'll clean up. I've just been a little distracted, but I'll take care of it."

I found her sitting on the couch, looking a little guilty. When I sat down next to her, she immediately apologized. "I'm sorry, Karthik. I didn't mean to be so harsh. It's just... everything feels so overwhelming sometimes. And when I see you with your beard, it just reminds me that things are changing so fast."

I smiled and pulled her into a hug. "It's okay, Vennela. I understand. But just so you know, I'm growing this beard as a tradition—my dad and my granddad both did it when they were about to become fathers. It's like a mark of the new journey we're about to start. But if it bothers you, I can keep it trimmed."

She laughed, her mood lightening instantly. "No, you should keep it then. It's kind of sweet that you're following in their footsteps."

These little moments, though challenging, also brought us closer. They reminded me that marriage—and soon, parenthood—wasn't just about the easy times. It was about being there for each other, especially when things got tough. And even though there were days when my patience was tested, I wouldn't have traded those experiences for anything. They were all part of the journey we were on together.