Dancing

Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance,

and the young men and the old shall be merry.

I will turn their mourning into joy;

I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow.

Jeremiah 31:13

Dancing is a beautiful expression of happiness that is all too rare in my culture. No doubt for Judah, with Babylon soon to invade, dancing was scarce then as well. But Jeremiah looks forward to a day when the young women rejoice in the dance: the Lord has restored his people to the promised land- let's celebrate!

Old men are notoriously grumpy: but the news of the restoration of Zion will result in wrinkles breaking out on smiley faces. It won't just be dimples on the grins of young men. It will be a national celebration.

God's judgement had resulted in mourning, which is sad, but the right response. "Blessed are you who mourn", said Jesus, "for you will be comforted". Jeremiah goes further: you will be inexpressably joyful when the Lord makes a new covenant of transformational love with you.

It is right to mourn and be sad for our sin. But it is wrong to stay there because Jesus has atoned for our sin on the cross. We are restored to a right relationship with God. "Religion never was designed to make our pleasures less" but to encourage us to take pleasure in the God of our salvation.

"God of my salvation, I take pleasure in the restoration you have brought in my life. I mourn for my sin, but rejoice in your love. Fill me with so much gratitude for you that I cannot help but dance for joy! In Jesus' name, amen"