Intercession

But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.

Luke 22:32

Scarily, satan had demanded to have Peter to sift him like wheat. In other words satan wanted to metaphorically throw Peter around. Jesus didn't even pray that satan wouldn't do so. We know that satan did test Peter when he denied Jesus three times.

But Jesus did pray that Peter 's faith would not fail him. He might have gone through the sifting after all, but his trust in Christ would remain. God rarely lets us avoid trials, but if we are his he will always make sure we come out of them stronger.

Peter was a leader among the 12 disciples of Jesus. He was one of Jesus' closest friends. He was the first to confess Jesus as Lord and Christ. So his denial of Christ will have demoralised not just him, but all of Jesus' close circle.

So Jesus told him that when he had turned back, he was to strengthen the brothers. The same principle is important to all believers. It's important not just to turn back to the Lord after trial. It's important to strengthen the brethren, to testify to God's keeping power.

I take the opportunity to do so now. Twice I have had a nervous breakdown. Twice God has restored me to mental health, thanks in large part to the prayers of the saints. To those going through trials I say persevere because your testimony will be so much stronger when you come out the other side.

"Lord and Father, thank you for the power of your love that can overcome the strongest trial and temptation. Forgive me for the times I've stumbled, and help me to testify to your keeping grace. In Jesus name, amen"