Episode 12: Seeds

***

Fitz-Simmons, Grant and Skye are in The Bus's kitchen, Fitz is pouring tea into his cup and joins Simmons at the table, sliding her tea towards her, Skye's sitting on the bench eating a cereal and Grant's standing beside her leaning on the bench holding a tablet.

"There is nothing more unsettling, being a part of something so horrible, completely unaware.  A cadet could have died." Simmons said.

"We drew up those concepts years ago. We didn't know they'd be applied in that way." Fitz said as he and Simmons put milk in their tea and stirred it.

"Is this the device they found in the frozen pool?" Skye asked glancing at the tablet in Grant's hand, Grant nods. "Correction: the instantly frozen indoor pool." Skye said returning to her breakfast.

"It seems like it was planted in the filter days before. Like someone was waiting for those specific cadets." Grant said, looking at the device on his tablet.

"Well, as far as they can tell, the device uses a crystalline nucleation process she designed." Fitz said nodding towards Simmons slightly before he took a sip of his tea.

"And a delivery mechanism he invented. That's why we are being asked to consult on the investigation." Simmons said.

"So, we're going to the Academy?" Skye asked, Grant nodded.

"Science and technology division," Grant turns towards Fitz-Simmons. "Cadets are pretty shaken up over what happened. Agent Weaver asked if you two could speak to the student body about "potentiality" to calm them down."

"Of course, the talk. We've all heard the talk." Simmons said, not sounding particularly happy.

"I haven't." Skye shook her head before eating some of her cereal.

"I guess you will." Grant said before taking a final gulp of his coffee.

"Well, I've heard a lot about the Academy. I'm excited to finally see it." Skye said.

"Me too. Never been to Sci-Tech before." Grant told them.

Skye turned to him. "Never?" she asked in surprise, while Fitz's face shows no surprise at all, it was common for the different fractions of the Academy to not interact, all preferring to keep to their own groups of people. "Huh. The different S.H.I.E.L.D. Academies don't interact?" Skye asked.

Fitz scoffs.

"Not much." Grant answered.

Simmons also scoffs and rolls her eyes.

"Academy of Communications does, but they're the biggest and focused on data analysis." Grant said.

"Boring." Fitz drawled.

"It's the easiest to get into." Simmons added.

"That's where you'd be, Skye." Fitz said.

Skye nods to his offhand insult, knowing that he wasn't trying to be rude to her. "Thanks." she said dryly.

"Operations is the most aggressive program. More people wash out of operations than the other academies." Grant said, Skye looked at him as he spoke before she looked back to the two scientists.

"So which one's the hardest to get into?" she asked.

Simmons looks at Grant and gives him a smile, Grant doesn't say anything, but Skye turns towards him. "I'm picking up on the rivalry between Sciences and Operations," while she says this May walks past getting Skye's attention and she directions her question to May. "Are you and Coulson past all that or you gonna help Ward steal their mascot?"