Chapter 3

Three years had passed since Scarlett's departure from home. She called home often at first but over time she made more friends. She was more busy. She attended fashion shows around the country and spent her time studying the industry. She made friends all around school. She loved Ann-Arbor. She loved her roommate, Charlotte. Charlotte was a complete opposite from Maya. Charlotte was very girly and loved shopping and gossip. Scarlett and Charlotte spent weekends shopping at Somerset mall and evenings bar hopping. They were each other's wingman when it came to picking up guys at the bar. Just like in high-school, Scarlett hated talking to men. Everything they said was stupid. She hated how arrogant the boys at her university were. They assumed she was stupid because she was a fashion design major and not in the STEM field. They assumed she was a desperate girl wanting to hook-up with them for the money their family had. Little did they know that she had more money than all students in the university combined.

Nevertheless, she often did hook up with them. She'd never finish and was usually disinterested from every interaction.

"I'm sorry...I came already." He would say.

"I'm sure you did..." She would respond disappointedly.

He'd check his phone and put on his clothes before  she'd come up with an excuse to leave.

"Oh yeah...I have something I have to take care of back at my dorm...a quiz I gotta take." She'd lie.

They would awkwardly part ways before she's at the curb pressing random buttons on her phone as she waited for her Uber to pick her up. 

Despite her failing love life, Scarlett was a promising designer and an excellent student. She ranked top of her class consistently.

"Beautiful work Scarlett." Her professors would say.

"Where did you learn to design like that?" Her classmates would ask.

The final week of classes approached rapidly and Scarlett was determined to do well in her non-fashion classes of the semester. She was invited to a study session with the rest of the students on her floor. They planned on pulling an all-nighter with donuts and coffee.

She was also invited to a party by Charlotte and her friends.

Scarlett weighed her options in her head.

She was a smart girl. She knew that she should study for one night to ensure she passed finals with flying colors. She was a smart girl...she didn't need to study anyway.