Chapter 45: Scarlett

As Maya and I enjoyed our breakfast at the small diner, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon filled the air. The café was a cozy haven, with its checkered tablecloths and vintage posters adorning the walls. The morning sun streamed through the windows, casting a warm glow over everything.

I was savoring a bite of my pancakes when the small television mounted in the corner blared to life with a breaking news announcement. A cheerful jingle caught my attention. I glanced up, curious about what was happening.

The anchor, a stern-looking woman with perfectly coiffed hair, introduced the program. "Good morning, this is Channel 6 News, Pennsylvania with a breaking story. We have just received footage of a tragic incident that occurred two nights ago."

My heart skipped a beat as a photo of a burned-down mansion flashed on the screen. The once-grand structure was now a smoldering ruin, blackened and charred. I recognized it instantly—Amanda's estate.

The anchor continued, her voice grave. "Authorities have confirmed that the fire at the McDonald estate was a result of arson. Tragically, remains were found on the premises, identified as Amanda McDonald."

A lump formed in my throat, and my stomach twisted in knots. Amanda's face appeared on the screen, a smiling portrait that now seemed like a cruel mockery of the reality. The other diner patrons began to murmur amongst themselves, their voices filled with disgust and shock.

"Such a shame," one man said, shaking his head. "That poor woman."

"Who would do such a thing?" a woman at the next table whispered, her voice tinged with horror.

My pulse quickened as the screen changed again, this time showing a photo of me with Cassius and Lillian. The anchor's voice seemed to grow louder in my ears. "Authorities believe there may be a connection between the arson and the whereabouts of Christina Johnson. If you have any information, please contact local authorities immediately."

Panic surged through me, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. My eyes darted around the diner, paranoid that someone might recognize me. The walls felt like they were closing in, and the cheerful chatter of the other patrons became a cacophony of noise.

Maya's eyes widened with concern. "We need to get out of here, now."

We quickly gathered our things, leaving money on the table to cover our meal. As we hurried towards the exit, I overheard a few more comments from the other diners, their words a blur of judgment and suspicion.

Once outside, the fresh air hit me like a jolt, and I tried to steady my racing heart. Maya grabbed my hand, her grip firm and reassuring.

"We'll figure this out," she said, her voice calm despite the chaos around us. "But we need to lay low and avoid crowds for now. That photo of you is old but you're not Clark Kent."

I tried to smile at her attempt of a joke but she was right. Not only was my face being broadcasted nationally – we were in Pennsylvania. An entire state over from where we were a few days ago.

The two of us made our way to the beach, hoping the soothing sound of the waves crashing against the shore would calm our nerves. The ocean stretched out before us, its vastness making our troubles feel momentarily smaller. The sun was high in the sky, casting a warm glow on the sand as we walked along the water's edge.

Maya and I strolled in silence for a while, the tension from the diner still lingering. Eventually, Maya broke the silence, her voice thoughtful. "Scarlett, we're running low on cash. Between paying for the motel each night and our other expenses, we don't have much left."