Chapter 13: Maya

I sat behind the driver's seat with Kyle beside me. The two boys sat in the back seat of the black Cadillac CT4. The school grants all line-in employees a car decked out with gaadgets and upgrades needed in the event of a car accident.

"So what are your names?" Kyle asked, glancing at the boys in the rearview mirror.

"Blane, he's Miles." The blond one said.

Kyle turned around in his seat, "Can Miles talk?" He asked,

Blaine looked over to his red haired counterpart.

"Not really. He used to talk sometimes but over time he just...stopped?" Blaine answered.

Kyle turned back around and glared at me out the corner of his eye.

"Well how old are you both?" He asked.

Blaine paused before answering, "I'm fifteen and I think Miles is fifteen too but I'm not really sure."

Miles didn't react outside of a flat and awkward smile. I wondered if he was mute by choice rather than by ability.

"So did you both drive here or...?" I asked, realizing they were definitely too young to drive.

"We teleported. As long as we've visited a place before, we can teleport there using the cloak." He said.

I thought about the possibilities of their abilities and when they could've been at the house. The it hit me,

"We're you there when they took Lillian?" I asked, prepping myself for their answer.

"Yes." Blaine answered.

I tried to refrain from getting upset. They were kids who were just following orders.

"Did she get hurt?" I asked.

There was a silence between us. My anxiety caused me to dig my nails into the leather of the wheel.

He finally answered,

"She struggled for a bit but Marter Olin was able to put her to sleep." Blaine answered.

My heart skipped, "To sleep?"

He stuttered, "L-like resting. J-just long enough to get her to her cell-"

"Cell?!" I interrupted.

I stopped abruptly at the red light.

His cheeks flushed read in the rearview mirror. I needed to relax. I again reminded myself that he was just a child.

"I-It's not that bad of a cell i-it has a bed." He stammered.

I didn't ask anymore questions. I didn't want to hear anything else that could make my heart race and I didn't want the kid to shut down completely. Instead I just turned the radio up and focused on the road. I wanted to speed. I hated stopping at red lights. Every light I hit held me back a few more seconds, a few more minutes, from getting to my aunt.

I looked back at the rearview mirror once more at the boys who stared aimlessly out the window. Blaine was blonde and skinny with pale skin and cat like eyes. Miles had brown skin, he was also thin but had chubbier cheeks and almond eyes. Despite their obvious differences like race and face, they both had this look that I struggled to put my finger on. Their eyes were empty. If the eyes were the windows to the soul then they were soulless. I compared them to Ollie and Max and they were damn near polar opposites.

What had they seen and what did they go through with whoever Olin was?

We drove for another hour and a half before deciding to take a much needed bathroom break. I parked the car at a small rest stop in Berlin. The sun was beginning to set so the liveliness of the city was starting to die down.