Chapter 46: Maya

Sitting at the edge of the tub, still wet from the shower, I looked at Scarlett with a mix of curiosity and concern. "How were you able to look into my dreams last night?" I asked, my voice a little softer than usual.

Scarlett sighed, running a hand through her still damp curls. "I'm not sure. It wasn't on purpose."

I frowned, trying to make sense of it. "Maybe you're tapping into some magic part of yourself that Amanda didn't go over with you yet."

Scarlett's shoulders slumped a bit. "It sucks that I won't be able to train anymore, at least until we get back to Vastoria. There's so much I wanted to learn and I still feel so underprepared for anything."

I felt sympathy for her. "How are things going with the magic book?" she asked, her eyes hopeful.

I shook my head, feeling a bit ashamed. "I haven't opened the book since we left the estate."

I scolded myself internally for getting lazy. "We're not on vacation. We should still try to improve when we can."

Scarlett rolled her eyes but nodded. "Yeah, you're right... it just felt nice to just, not..."

"I'll go for a run in the morning to stay in shape," I added, determined to keep myself sharp.

Scarlett gave me a small smile. "Alright, but don't overdo it. Your fingers are still mangled."

I nodded, feeling a renewed sense of purpose. Despite the small town charm and the brief moments of normalcy, we were still on the run, and we couldn't afford to forget that.

As I sat at the edge of the tub, watching Scarlett towel off, I couldn't help but feel a mix of curiosity and concern gnawing at me. "Are you ready to go back to Vastoria and see your parents?" I asked, trying to gauge her reaction.

Scarlett paused, her movements slowing. She didn't respond right away, and I could see the conflict in her eyes. Finally, she sighed. "I'm just ready to gain some since of normalcy again."

I nodded, understanding that sentiment. "Are you ready to be Queen if you need to be?"

Her eyes met mine, filled with uncertainty. "I don't want the responsibility, Maya. It scares me to have that many people rely on me. But... I don't have much of a choice."

I could see the weight of her words settling on her shoulders. "Do you resent your parents for birthing you with magic?"

Scarlett shrugged, her expression thoughtful. "I don't resent them for birthing me with magic. But I do resent them for hiding it. For making me feel like I was just... invisible."

I nodded, understanding her frustration. "They probably thought they were protecting you."

"Maybe," she admitted, "but it doesn't change how it made me feel. Lost. Unprepared...." She said, as she walked out of the bathroom.

I followed her from the bathroom and to the bed.

"Well, I wouldn't have met you so there's that." I said.

Scarlett planted a kiss to my cheek and lied down on my chest. We spent the rest of the night reminiscing and trying to keep our minds occupied with light-hearted topics until we drifted to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I awoke in a dimly lit room, the faint light casting eerie shadows on the walls. The place resembled a dormitory, with narrow hallways and the distinct sounds of muffled conversations and laughter filtering through. As I strained to make sense of my surroundings, I heard the unmistakable sounds of people kissing nearby.