Chapter 26: Scarlett

The crew arrived at a rundown motel in Toledo, tired and bedraggled. The neon sign flickered, casting an eerie glow on the parking lot. Alexii took charge, suggesting room arrangements.

"Scarlett and I will room together, Kyle and Charlotte can share a room, and Maya can have a room to herself," he announced.

I saw a flash of something—jealousy, maybe?—cross Maya's face before she quickly masked it, reminding herself to keep her feelings in check. We all broke away into our rooms, the air thick with unspoken tensions.

Inside our room, I immediately undressed and changed into a pair of comfortable shorts. The weight of the past few days hung heavily on me, and I craved any semblance of normalcy. I noticed Alexii trying to give me privacy, his back turned as he set our bags down.

"You don't have to be so prudish, Alexii," I teased, feeling a spark of mischief. "It's just us."

He turned, a slight blush creeping up his cheeks. "I'm just being respectful, Princess."

I laughed softly, enjoying the rare chance to lighten the mood. "Do you think I'm pretty, Alexii?"

He looked flustered, his eyes darting everywhere but at me. Finally, he met my gaze, his face serious. "Yes, Scarlett. You're very pretty."

I smiled, feeling a warmth spread through me. It was nice to hear, especially after everything we'd been through. "Thank you."

He cleared his throat, clearly trying to regain his composure. "You should get some rest. We have a long day ahead of us."

Instead of going straight to bed, I decided to keep the conversation going. "Alexii," I asked, propping myself up on one elbow, "have you ever had a girlfriend?"

He chuckled, a soft, genuine sound. "My first kiss was at a royal ball. The girl tasted like sea fish."

I laughed, feeling a rare moment of levity. "My first kiss ended with me puking on the boy. He never spoke to me again."

We shared a warm moment, the tension between us easing. I looked at Alexii, seeing him in a new light. "Have you ever kissed someone you actually liked?"

His eyes met mine, and there was a brief silence before he replied, "Scarlett, our relationship is professional. I'm here to protect you."

I felt a sudden, desperate craving for control, for some semblance of normalcy amidst the chaos. "Please, Alexii," I begged, surprising even myself with the intensity of my plea. "Just one kiss."

He hesitated, clearly torn between duty and something deeper. Finally, he moved closer, his eyes searching mine for any sign of hesitation. Finding none, he leaned in and gently pressed his lips to mine.

The kiss was tender, a moment of intimacy that felt like a lifeline. I felt his hands on my back, warm and steadying, grounding me in the present. For a brief moment, the world outside our room ceased to exist.

When we finally pulled away, both of us were breathless. Alexii's eyes were filled with a mixture of emotions—concern, longing, and a trace of regret. "Scarlett, we need to be careful," he whispered.

I nodded, understanding the unspoken words between us. "Thank you," I said softly, feeling a newfound respect for the man who had been my steadfast protector.

I knew that I was playing with fire but I needed to feel something that wasn't anxiety and fear. I didn't even know if I had feelings for Alexii but in the short time of knowing each other, I knew I needed him.

As we settled into bed, the weight of the day's events seemed a little lighter. The shared moment with Alexii gave me a sense of comfort and control, a brief respite from the chaos that surrounded us.