Chapter 14: Scarlett

Thirty minutes away from Ludington and it felt like I was a folded pretzel. I hated being cooped up and it didn't matter how nice the car was. I was still in pain from the night before and despite warnings that you shouldn't nap after a head injury, my eyes repeatedly found themselves closed and my mind miles away. Every once in a while I'd hear the voices or Charlotte and Alexii talking about who knows what.

While trying to rest, the images of that man's head basically exploding before me kept flashing before me. The blood splattering onto my skin, the coldness of the floor on my knees. The taste of vomit that filled my mouth and burned my throat over and over.

"Princess!" A concerned voice snapped my out of my traumatized state.

We weren't on the road. We were parked beside a cabin on a beach. My passanger door was open and Alexii was standing outside of it.

"Where are we?" I asked, blocking the sun from my eyes.

Alexii helped me to stand up, his hands steadying me against the car.

"Ludington. I checked us into a cabin so we aren't surrounded." Alexii said.

I looked behind him to the small wooden house on stilts.

"What happened to getting to the ferry?" I asked.

Alexii turned to the cabin and huffed, "The next ferry isn't coming until the morning unfortunately." He answered. I turned around to look at the beach. There were children frolicking and families building sandcastles.

I don't know if it was the head injury, the drugs, or the combination of it all, but the sight of it all brought hot tears to flow from my eyes and down my cheeks. I missed my aunt and uncle, I missed Charlie, I missed Maya, hell – I even missed my parents.

I missed fighting with Maya at the beach and I was so guilty and saddened that I lost touch with her. I should've called home more. I should've visited more. I should've done a lot of things. I loved the beach and every second I stood in the sand I found myself hating it.

Alexii's face twisted in confusion.

"Are you okay, princess?" He asked with concern.

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to collect myself as best I could.

"I'm fine." I said.

I walked to the stairs of the small beach house. The door was already wide open.

"It's so nice in here!" Charlotte's voice blared from inside.

I wiped my face and limped up the stairs and into the tiny house.

The wooden floors were slightly scuffed but the rest of the space was very comfy. There was a tiny kitchen and living space with a sofa and box television. There was one hall that led to a bathroom on the left and a bedroom on the right. Curtains covered the large windows that surrounded the living room and kitchen.

Charlotte stood in the livingroom with her eyes wide and mouth open.

"Beach house...handsome bodyguard man... fancy car...this is going to be the best Summer ever!" She squealed. She wasn't wearing her clothes from earlier. She was stripped down to her bra and panties. Her scuffed knees from last night were exposed.

"You are NOT going out in that." I said.

Charlotte pouted with her arms crossed, "And why not?"

I walked closer to her and examined her. I couldn't contain my laughter once I realized she was dead serious and not just joking around.