Chapter 23: Maya

The morning light filtered through the windows as I made my way downstairs, the scent of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon guiding me to the kitchen. As I entered, I saw Lillian bustling around, a large breakfast spread laid out on the table. She looked up and gave me a smile, but I could see the edges of her lips were tight, her movements slightly more hurried than usual.

"Morning, Maya," she greeted, turning her attention back to the pancakes she was flipping. "Breakfast will be ready in just a minute."

"Morning, Lillian," I replied, taking a seat at the table. I watched her for a moment, noting the tension in her shoulders. "You seem on edge. Nervous about us leaving?"

She paused, her hand gripping the spatula a little tighter. "A little, yes," she admitted, glancing over at me with a softer, more genuine smile. "But I trust you, Maya. I know you'll take care of Scarlett. I just hope you two can grow closer again. It's important for both of you."

I nodded, feeling the weight of her trust. "I'll do my best," I promised. Then, taking a deep breath, I broached the topic that had been on my mind all morning. "Lillian, I have a huge favor to ask."

She turned off the stove and came to sit across from me, her expression curious and slightly apprehensive. "Of course, dear. What is it?"

I hesitated, trying to find the right words. "Miles and Blaine...they've never had anyone to take them in. They've been through so much, and they deserve a chance at a normal life. You've been like a mother to me, and you raised me well. I was hoping...maybe you could do the same for them."

Lillian's eyes widened in surprise, and she glanced toward the hallway where the boys were probably still sleeping. She looked back at me, her expression torn. "Maya, that's a lot to ask. Taking in two more boys..."

"I know," I interrupted gently. "I know it's a lot. But they need someone, Lillian. Someone who can give them the love and stability they've never had. And I can't think of anyone better than you."

She bit her lip, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "Oh, Maya," she whispered, her voice breaking slightly. "You always did know how to tug at my heartstrings."

For a long moment, she sat there, lost in thought. Finally, she nodded, a determined look in her eyes. "Alright. I'll do it. I can't say no to you, and those boys need a home. But you have to promise me you'll stay in touch. And you better come visit often once this is over."

Relief washed over me, and I reached out to squeeze her hand. "Thank you, Lillian. You don't know how much this means to me. And to them."

She smiled through her tears, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze. "Anything for you, Maya. Now, let's get breakfast finished before everyone wakes up and eats everything in sight."

We both laughed, the tension easing slightly as we returned to the familiar routine of preparing breakfast together. Despite the uncertainties of the future, I felt a sense of hope. Maybe, just maybe, everything would turn out alright. Alexii entered the kitchen, and the air immediately grew tense. Our eyes locked for a brief moment before I looked away, focusing on the coffee in my mug.

"Good morning," he said, his tone polite but clipped.

"Morning," I replied coolly, taking a sip to avoid further eye contact.

"So, about the route to DC," I began, trying to keep the conversation on track. "I think we should drive the entire way. Getting on another ferry could be too dangerous."

Alexii crossed his arms, a hint of a smirk playing on his lips. "We were fine on the way here, and taking the ferry is faster."

I set my mug down a little harder than necessary. "Faster isn't always better. We need to be cautious."