Chapter 56: Scarlett

In the private room, Alexii meticulously bandaged my wounds, his hands steady but his eyes avoiding mine. The silence between us was thick, almost suffocating.

"Alexii," I began hesitantly, wincing as he tightened a bandage around my arm. "Are you okay?"

He didn't respond, his jaw tightening as he continued his work. His silence was more telling than any words he could have spoken. Something was deeply wrong.

"Alexii, please," I tried again, my voice softer. "Talk to me."

His eyes finally met mine, but they were cold and distant. He finished bandaging my arm and stood up, taking a step back. For a moment, I thought he was going to leave, but instead, he turned back toward me with an intensity that made my heart race.

Without warning, Alexii pinned me to the bed, his weight pressing me down. His hands roamed over my body with a desperation that was both frightening and heart-wrenching. I struggled against him, my strength depleted from the torture I had endured. "Alexii, stop!" I cried out, trying to push him away.

His face was inches from mine, his breath hot against my skin. "Why, Scarlett? Why are you doing this to me?" His voice was a harsh whisper, filled with pain.

Using every ounce of power I could muster, I managed to kick him off the bed, sending him stumbling backward. He stared at me, shock and hurt evident in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Alexii," I said, my voice trembling. "But I'm with Maya now. We're in a relationship."

He looked at me as if I had just slapped him, his expression a mix of betrayal and disbelief. "Maya?" he repeated, almost as if he couldn't comprehend the words. "You're with Maya?"

I nodded, tears welling up in my eyes. "Yes, Alexii. I care about you, but I'm in love with her."

For a moment, he just stood there, his body tense and his eyes locked onto mine. Then, without another word, he turned and left the room, the door closing behind him with a soft click.

I collapsed back onto the bed, my body shaking with the effort of what had just happened. The pain in my heart was almost as intense as the physical pain I was feeling. I wanted to comfort Alexii, to make him understand, but I knew that right now, the best thing I could do was give him space.

As I lay there, I couldn't help but think about Maya and how much she meant to me. Despite everything, I knew that we had to be strong for each other, no matter what challenges lay ahead.

The door burst open again, and Alexii stormed back in, his eyes blazing with hurt and anger. "What does she have that I don't, Scarlett?" he demanded, his voice shaking. "Why would you break my heart for someone who isn't as good as me?"

I sat up, my heart pounding. "Alexii, it's not about who is better. It's about how I feel."

He shook his head, his expression one of raw pain. "I gave everything for you, Scarlett. I put my life on the line for you, and this is how you repay me?"

Tears welled up in my eyes. I couldn't decipher if they stemmed rom sadness, guilt, or fear. "I'm sorry, Alexii. I never wanted to hurt you. But my feelings for Maya... they're just different. It's not something I can explain."

He didn't want to hear it. "Different," he spat, his voice dripping with bitterness. "I can't believe you."

Embarrassed and angry, he turned on his heel and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. I was left alone, the weight of his words pressing down on me, and the tears I'd been holding back finally spilled over.

I sank back onto the bed, feeling more conflicted than ever. The pain of Alexii's rejection and everything I just experienced all crashing down at once.