Chapter 58: Scarlett (END)

We entered a private car, and the driver welcomed me back home with a warm smile.

Maya had regained enough strength to help me walk up the stairs, her support both physical and emotional. Royal guards opened the heavy doors, and we stepped into the grand foyer. I couldn't help but feel a mix of nostalgia and apprehension as we limped towards the throne room.

My mother rushed into the room, her eyes wide with concern. She embraced me tightly, seemingly oblivious to my obvious injuries. "Scarlett, my darling," she whispered, tears streaming down her face.

"Where's my father?" I asked, my voice trembling.

Her face fell. "He is in our master bedroom. He's not doing well, Scarlett. He's slipped into a coma."

The weight of her words hit me like a ton of bricks. "A coma?" I repeated, barely able to process it.

My mother nodded, her eyes filled with sorrow. "You will need to become Queen very soon."

I felt a surge of panic. "Why can't Mars take the throne?" I asked, desperation creeping into my voice.

"Mars is too timid to become King, Scarlett. And technically, he is not the firstborn."

Before I could respond, Alexii suddenly dropped to one knee in front of me, holding out a ring. "Scarlett, will you marry me?" he asked, his voice earnest and desperate.

I was taken aback, my heart racing. "No, are you insane?"

His face fell, but I couldn't focus on that now. There were more pressing matters at hand. I didn't even know when he had time to even think about a proposal. It was so sudden and random.

"Mom, I need to see Father," I said, turning back to her.

"Of course, but you need to rest first. You look exhausted," she replied, her voice gentle but firm.

I glanced at Maya, who nodded in agreement. "She's right, Scarlett. You need to take it slow."

Reluctantly, I agreed, allowing Maya and my mother to guide me to my old bedroom. It hadn't changed much since I left years ago. It was still baby blue with posters from everything I loved as a kid with a queen sized bed in the center.

Mars entered the room, looking as timid as ever. "Scarlett," he said softly, his eyes filled with concern.

As I sat there, trying to process everything, I turned to Mars. "Mars, why didn't you want to take the throne? You've had all the schooling to prepare you for this moment," I asked, my voice soft but firm.

Mars looked down, his hands trembling slightly. "I'm terrified, Scarlett," he admitted, tears welling up in his eyes. "I'm scared of everything. No amount of schooling could prepare me to take care of thousands of people."

His vulnerability hit me hard. I hadn't realized how much my absence had affected him. "Mars," I said gently, reaching out to touch his arm, "I left because I needed to be free. It wasn't about leaving you."

He looked up at me, his eyes filled with pain and confusion. "But why didn't you come home? I needed you, Scarlett. I always felt like an outsider among the other royal children. I really needed my sister."

His words broke my heart. I had been so focused on my own struggles that I hadn't seen his. "I'm sorry, Mars," I whispered, tears streaming down my face. "I was a kid too. I saw you living the life I wanted while I was hidden away. I needed to get out."

He nodded, wiping his eyes. "It's been so hard without you. When you left, I had to face everything alone. The bullying, the name calling...I was the black sheep too."