Chapter 19: Scarlett

As Lillian scolded me for my absence, her voice carried both reprimand and relief. She peppered me with kisses, a mixture of scolding and affection that left me feeling both chastised and cherished. Examining the bruises that marred my skin, she led me upstairs to run a warm bath, the soothing aroma of herbs and oils enveloping me as I sank into the water.

With gentle hands, Lillian washed my back, her touch tender and caring as she joked about raising me as a child. In that moment, as the warm water enveloped me and Lillian's comforting presence surrounded me, I felt a sense of peace wash over me, a fleeting respite from the chaos and uncertainty that had consumed my life.

As Lillian's gentle hands washed my back, her voice filled the bathroom with warmth and concern. "Scarlett, why didn't you ever come home?" she asked, her tone laced with a mix of curiosity and motherly affection.l

I chuckled nervously, attempting to deflect her question with a hint of humor. "Oh, you know, just enjoying the college life and hittin the books," I replied, trying to keep things light-hearted.

But Lillian's motherly instincts were too keen to be fooled by my feeble attempt at humor. With a knowing look in her eyes, she pressed me gently for a real answer, her unwavering gaze prompting me to reveal the truth buried deep within my heart.

And so, with a heavy sigh, I confessed the real reason behind my reluctance to return home. "I guess... I never came back because it felt easier to keep running," I admitted, my voice tinged with a hint of vulnerability. "If I stayed in one place for too long, it just gave people more time to get tired of me. I'd rather leave before I got too attached... before I got hurt."

Lillian's response was immediate and heartfelt, her words a soothing balm to my wounded soul. "Oh, sweetheart," she murmured, her voice brimming with love and reassurance. "You are always wanted here. No matter where life takes you, you will always have a home with us."

And in that moment, as Lillian's comforting words washed over me, I felt a flicker of hope ignite within my heart. Maybe, just maybe, it was finally time to stop running and start believing in the possibility of finding a place where I truly belonged.