Chapter 2 - Scarlett POV

Maya's hospitalization stretched over weeks, each passing day a stark reminder of the tragic events that had transpired. Scarlett, steadfast in her devotion, refused to leave Maya's side, tending to her with unwavering care despite her own minor injuries. Maya drifted in and out of consciousness, her voice silenced by the severity of her injuries, leaving her groaning in pain when she was awake. Doctors held little hope for her recovery, uncertain if she would ever speak again.

Outside the hospital walls, life continued its relentless march forward. Scarlett missed her high school graduation, her absence a poignant testament to the turmoil that had engulfed their lives. Safety concerns kept her from attending, overshadowing what should have been a joyous occasion with the weight of uncertainty about her newfound powers.

In Maya's absence, Scarlett's aunt and uncle stepped in to offer support, their presence a source of comfort in the face of overwhelming grief. They tended to Maya during the day, filling out paperwork and ensuring she had everything she needed. Cassius tried to bring some semblance of normalcy to Maya's hospital room by hooking up her Nintendo Switch to the TV, while Lillian offered soothing essential oils and whispered words of solace.

But beneath the surface, Lillian grappled with her own fears and suspicions. A sense of foreboding hung heavy in the air, driving her to seek answers in the depths of her spiritual knowledge. She spent sleepless nights researching and consulting with her peers, desperate for insight into the mysteries that surrounded Scarlett's powers.

"Scarlett." Lillian started.

Scarlett had grown dark circles under her eyes. Her once bouncy curls were wrapped under a silk scarf. Her lips were chapped, a sight different than her normally glossed and slightly pink lips. She wore the same oversized cotton tan shirt and sweatpants that shes been wearing to and from the hospital.

"Aunt Lil, can I please go back to bed?" Scarlett whined, her voice tinged with exhaustion.

Lillian hushed her niece with a sense of urgency. "Scarlett, this is serious," she said, her tone grave and determined.

Picking up a piece of chalk from beside her, Lillian began to draw a pentagram between them, her lines straight and purposeful. With a knife in hand, she traced a line of blood across her palm, her actions deliberate and resolute.

"What are you—" Scarlett began, only to be swiftly interrupted by Lillian.

"You are not completely human, Scarlett," Lillian declared, her words heavy with meaning. "I don't quite know what happened, but there is some sort of magic within you. It's dangerous. What happened in that bathroom was only the beginning. If any normal person finds out about what you are... I don't know what would happen. I'm sorry your parents did this to you, and I'm sorry that I have to do this to you."

With a solemn determination, Lillian pressed her bleeding finger against Scarlett's forehead, sending a shiver down her spine. Scarlett was frozen in shock and confusion, unable to comprehend the gravity of the situation.

"Rest," Lillian commanded, her voice carrying an air of finality.

Scarlett flopped onto her back on the wooden floor, her mind reeling with unanswered questions. Lillian cradled her in her lap, sweeping a strand of hair from her eyes with gentle care.

"This spell will be my final spell," Lillian whispered, her voice filled with a mixture of sorrow and resolve. "I was granted a limited amount of mana in my life. I could never create magic of my own, but I could always sense and interpret it. I'll use the limited amount of mana I have to restrict you from using your own again. I'll wipe your memory of having it too. I'm sorry, Scarlett. I just want to protect you. I want you and Maya to have a normal life like normal girls. Go to college. Fall in love. Travel the world. You're my first daughter. I speak over you peace and tranquility. I speak to you to forget that assault ever happened. Forget that you used your powers that night. To you, my niece, you had the prom of your dreams. You wore a pretty dress. You spent the evening how you imagined in your dreams. You are a normal girl."