Chapter 57: Maya

I shot up from the sofa across from Kyle, my heart pounding in my chest. The muffled sound of Alexii's shouting from the private room had set me on edge, but now I could hear every word. I had heard enough.

"What the hell is going on in there?" I demanded, my voice louder than I intended.

Alexii stormed out of the room, his face twisted in anger. "Mind your own business, Maya."

I stepped forward, my hands clenched into fists at my sides. "You don't get to talk to Scarlett like that. What did you say to her?"

Kyle and Charlotte watched from the sofa, their expressions a mix of concern and curiosity. The tension in the cabin was thick enough to cut with a knife.

Alexii's eyes flashed with rage. "Stay out of it, Maya. This is between me and Scarlett."

"No," I shot back, my voice unwavering. "If it had to do with her then, it's my business too."

In a flash, Alexii's hand shot back, preparing to strike me. Time seemed to slow down as I quickly formed my fingers into the shape of a dolphin, just in time for the blow to connect. The strike bounced right off my skin, which had thickened and become more resilient with the dolphin's abilities.

Alexii's eyes widened in shock, but he quickly recovered and swung his fist at me again. This time, I grabbed his wrist and twisted it hard enough that a loud pop echoed through the cabin. He cried out in pain, clutching his arm.

"Bitch!" he spat, his voice filled with venom. "You'll regret this."

I stood my ground, my heart racing but my resolve unshaken. "Try me, pussy."

Kyle and Charlotte exchanged glances, unsure of what to do. The tension was palpable, and I knew we were walking a dangerous line. But I couldn't back down now. Not when Scarlett needed me.

Alexii glared at me, his face contorted with pain and anger. "You think you're so tough, don't you?"

I took a step closer, my eyes locked onto his. "No, I just know that I'm not afraid of you."

For a moment, the only sound was the hum of the plane's engines. Then, without another word, Alexii turned and stormed down the aisle, cradling his injured arm.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding and turned to Kyle and Charlotte. "Are you guys okay?"

Charlotte nodded, her eyes wide with shock. "Yeah, we're fine."

Kyle looked at me with a mix of admiration and concern. "You handled that well, Maya. Very mature." He jabbed sarcastically.

I shrugged, trying to shake off the adrenaline still coursing through my veins. "I did what I had to do."

I walked back to the private room, my mind racing. Scarlett was still sitting on the bed, looking shaken. I knelt in front of her, taking her hands in mine.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly.

She nodded, her eyes filled with tears. "Yeah, I am now."

I crawled into bed beside Scarlett, wrapping my arms around her gently. The tension from the confrontation with Alexii still lingered, but the warmth of Scarlett's body against mine helped soothe my frayed nerves. We lay there in silence for a while, the hum of the plane's engines lulling us into a sense of temporary peace.

"Thank you," Scarlett whispered, her voice barely audible.

I kissed the top of her head. "Always."

Exhaustion finally took over, and we both drifted off to sleep, the weight of our journey momentarily forgotten.

---

I woke to the sound of a gentle knock on the door. Blinking away the remnants of sleep, I saw Kyle's face peeking through the doorway.

"Hey, you two," he said softly, trying not to startle us. "We've made it to Vastoria."

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. Scarlett stirred beside me, her eyes slowly opening.

"Already?" she mumbled, still half-asleep.

"Yeah," Kyle replied, stepping into the room. "We just landed. It's time to go."

Scarlett and I exchanged a glance, the reality of our situation quickly settling back in. We had made it to Vastoria, but the challenges ahead were still looming large.

I helped Scarlett out of bed, and we gathered our things. As we stepped out of the private room, I felt a mix of relief and anxiety.

Alexii was standing near the plane's exit, his face a mask of professionalism once again. He didn't look at either of us as we passed by, but I could feel the tension in the air.

Charlotte and Kyle were already waiting outside, looking around at the unfamiliar surroundings. The private plane had landed in a secluded area, away from prying eyes.

"Welcome to Vastoria," Kyle said with a grin, trying to lighten the mood.

I managed a small smile. "Thanks, Kyle."

Scarlett took a deep breath, her eyes scanning the landscape. "It's good to be home."

As we walked down the steps of the plane, I couldn't help but feel a sense of apprehension.

For Kyle, Charlotte, and me, this was our first time in Vastoria. The unfamiliar sights and sounds were both exciting and intimidating. The air was different, carrying a mix of the sea breeze and the scent of the land.

"Quite the place," Charlotte murmured, her eyes wide with curiosity.

Kyle nodded. "Definitely not what I expected."