Chapter 36: Scarlett

The following morning, I made my way downstairs and was greeted by a heartwarming sight in the kitchen. Kyle, Charlotte, and Amanda were busy cooking breakfast together. Kyle, wearing an apron and a chef's hat, stirred a batch of pancakes with an exaggerated flourish. Amanda and Charlotte were at the counter, chopping fresh fruits with practiced ease. The kitchen was filled with the comforting aroma of sizzling pancakes and the sweet scent of ripe berries.

Amanda was beaming, her eyes twinkling with genuine joy. "It's been so long since I've had this much fun," she gushed, her voice filled with emotion. "Living in such a large house all by myself can be quite lonely. Having all of you here has been a blessing."

Her words tugged at my heartstrings, and I couldn't resist running over to give her a warm hug. "We're glad to be here with you, Amanda, and we're happy that you're teaching us so much." I said, squeezing her tightly.

The crew treated Amanda to a hearty breakfast. Kyle served up his perfectly golden pancakes, while Charlotte arranged the colorful fruit on a platter, creating a beautiful and appetizing display. Amanda's joy was infectious, and soon, we were all laughing and bantering over breakfast.

"I didn't know you could cook, Kyle," I teased, watching him flip a pancake with a confident flick of his wrist.

He grinned, clearly enjoying the attention. "There's a lot you don't know about me, Scarlett," he replied with a playful wink. "I have many hidden talents."

Charlotte chimed in, "He's actually pretty good in the kitchen. Who knew?"

Amanda laughed, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "It's wonderful having such lively company. You all bring so much energy to this old house."

We continued to chat and joke, the conversation flowing easily. For a while, it felt like we were just a group of friends enjoying a simple morning together, free from the worries and dangers that usually surrounded us.

As I looked around the table, I felt a deep sense of gratitude for the bonds we were forming and the memories we were creating. Despite the challenges ahead, moments like these made everything worthwhile.

Feeling the warmth of our morning together, I turned to Amanda with a hopeful smile. "Amanda, have you ever considered coming to Vastoria with us?" I asked. "You wouldn't have to be alone anymore. I promise I'll keep you safe in the kingdom."

Amanda's face softened, but there was a sadness in her eyes. She shook her head gently. "I appreciate the offer, Scarlett. Truly, I do. But I prefer to stay here, by myself. It's not just about my safety—it's about not putting a target on the backs of others. The world isn't kind to people like us, and I don't want to bring that danger to you or anyone else."

Disappointment washed over me, and I could see the same sentiment mirrored in the faces of my friends. "We'll miss you," I said softly. "But I understand. Just know that we'll work to make a change, to create a world where magic users can feel safe and accepted."

Amanda gave a small, appreciative smile. "I know you will, Scarlett. You're strong and determined. And with friends like these," she glanced around the room, "I have no doubt you'll succeed."

After breakfast, everyone slowly dispersed to do their own things around the estate. Kyle and Charlotte headed outside, probably to explore more of the gardens and grounds. Maya mentioned wanting to practice her new abilities further, likely influenced by her training with Amanda. Alexii went to check on the car and make sure everything was ready for our eventual departure.

I lingered a moment longer in the kitchen, helping Amanda clear the table and wash the dishes. It felt like such a normal, everyday activity, yet there was a comforting rhythm to it. Amanda and I worked side by side in silence, the clinking of dishes and running water filling the space between us.