Chapter 21: Scarlett

I entered the kitchen, the weight of the past few days pressing heavily on my shoulders. Everyone turned to look at me, and I could feel the unspoken questions hanging in the air. I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself.

"What do we do next?" I asked, my voice sounding steadier than I felt.

Alexii was the first to speak. "Our priority is getting you to Vastoria as soon as possible."

I looked over at Lillian, hoping for another option. "Is there anywhere I can go to learn more about where my powers came from?" I asked, my voice softer now, almost pleading.

Lillian considered this for a moment before nodding. "You could visit my sister in Ohio. She knows more about our family's history and might be able to help you understand your powers better She inherited them genetically."

Alexii immediately interjected, his tone firm. "We're on a time crunch, Scarlett. We need to get to Vastoria without any detours."

I turned to him, feeling a surge of frustration. "It doesn't take a month to get to Washington DC, Alexii. We can spare a little time to get some answers."

Before Alexii could respond, Maya stepped forward, her expression determined. "I'm coming with you, Scarlett. I promised Lillian I'd keep you safe and I intend to keep that promise."

Kyle, always loyal to Maya, added himself to the mix. "And I'll be coming too. You know, since Maya is my bestie and all."

I looked around at the faces of the people who had become my unexpected allies. Despite the tension and uncertainty, a sense of determination settled over me. We had a plan, or at least the beginnings of one.

"Alright," I said, my voice gaining strength. "Let's get moving. We have a lot of ground to cover and not much time to do it."

Alexii still looked uncertain, but he nodded. "We'll leave as soon as we're ready. Everyone, gather your things. We need to move quickly."

As the group dispersed to prepare for our journey, I caught Maya's eye. There was something in her gaze that made my heart skip a beat, a flicker of something unspoken. I pushed the thought aside for now. We had a mission, and that had to come first.

"Thank you," I said to her quietly. She gave me a small, reassuring smile.

Cassius cleared his throat, drawing everyone's attention. "Before you leave, you should all rest. You've been through a lot for the past few days."

I nodded, feeling the exhaustion settle in my bones. "He's right. Let's get some sleep for now and we'll leave tomorrow."

Everyone agreed, and we began to find places to rest in the house. Lillian and Cassius retired to their room with Charlie asleep in his arms, Lillian casted a worried glance my way before disappearing down the hallway. Blaine and Miles found a corner in the living room, while Kyle stretched out on the couch. Charlotte and Alexii set up shop in the basement.

Maya and I lingered in the kitchen for a moment longer, the silence between us heavy with unspoken words.

"I'll take my old room," she finally said, her voice soft. "You should get some rest too, Scarlett. We've got a long day tomorrow."

I nodded, feeling a lump form in my throat. "Yeah, I'll try... Thanks, Maya."

As she turned to leave, I reached out and grabbed her hand. She looked back at me, her eyes searching mine.

"I'm glad you're here," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

She squeezed my hand gently without another word.

I watched her walk away, my heart heavy with conflicting emotions. With a sigh, I made my way to the guest room, hoping that a few hours of rest would help clear my mind. As I lay down on the bed, I felt a sick pit in my stomach.