Chapter 31: Maya

I sat at the edge of the bed, carefully wrapping my sore knee with an elastic bandage. The ache was a constant reminder of my sparring match with Alexii, and I couldn't help but wince as I tightened the wrap. Nearby, Kyle sat cross-legged on the carpet, sucking on an ice pop Amanda had given him from the freezer. His presence was a welcome distraction from the pain and the thoughts swirling in my head.

"Nice knee brace," Kyle said with a grin, the ice pop stick poking out from the corner of his mouth. "Planning on making it a fashion statement?"

I smirked, shaking my head. "Just trying to keep it from falling apart. Alexii really did a number on me today."

We bantered back and forth for a while, the conversation light and easy. It felt good to laugh, to let go of the tension that had been building since we left Vastoria.

"So," I said, raising an eyebrow at him. "What's up with you and Charlotte? You've been spending a lot of time together."

Kyle chuckled, rolling his eyes. "She's nice. And yeah, she's pretty. But I'm not looking to hook up or anything. It's just... I don't know, different I guess."

I tilted my head, genuinely surprised. "Different how? You're actually interested in getting to know her?"

"Pretty much," he said, shrugging. "She's fun to be around. Makes me laugh. It's not all about the chase, you know?"

I raised an eyebrow, feigning shock. "Kyle, putting his bachelor ways to the side? Maybe magic is real after all."

He laughed, the sound filling the room. "Yeah, yeah. People change, Maya. Even me."

I smiled, finishing the wrap on my knee. "Speaking of change, how's the knee?" he asked, more serious now.

I sighed, flexing it slightly. "It's sore, but I'll live. Alexii got me pinned during our sparring match. He's good, I'll give him that."

Kyle nodded thoughtfully. "You're not just doing this to beat him, are you?"

I shook my head. "No. It's more than that. I want to get stronger, to prove something to myself. To show that I'm not just some bodyguard who failed at her job. I need to be better, for Scarlett, for all of us."

Kyle looked at me, his eyes filled with understanding. "You've always pushed me to be a better person, Maya. Without you knowing, you made me want more for myself. You inspired me to try harder, to be more than just some aimless guy. That's why when you knocked on my door to drag me into this bullshit I didn't even think of turning you down...so, thank you."

His words hit me hard, a mix of emotions swelling inside. "Thanks, man."

We shared a heartfelt fist bump, a silent promise to keep pushing each other to be better. As Kyle stood to leave, heading to his room for the night, I felt a sense of camaraderie that I hadn't felt in a long time.

"Goodnight, Maya," Kyle said, pausing at the door.

"Goodnight, Kyle," I replied, watching him go.

Alone in the room, I took a deep breath, feeling a renewed sense of determination.

I was just finishing the wrap on my knee when I heard a loud thud in the hallway. My heart jumped, and I rushed out of my room to see what had happened. There, lying on the floor, was Scarlett. She was murmuring to herself, her body twitching slightly. Panic surged through me as I knelt beside her, trying to shake her awake.

"Scarlett? Scarlett, wake up!" I whispered urgently, not wanting to wake anyone else in the house.

But she didn't respond. Her eyes were closed, and she seemed lost in some sort of nightmare. Not wanting to cause a scene, I scooped her up and carried her back to my room, gently laying her on the bed. She started to writhe around, her voice rising in distress.

"Fire... burning... they're burning," she yelled, her face contorted in agony.

"Scarlett, it's okay. You're safe," I tried to reassure her, but she was in the throes of a full-blown panic attack.

Suddenly, her eyes fluttered open, and she sat up, gasping for breath, her eyes wild with fear. I grabbed her shoulders, trying to steady her.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. It's just a nightmare," I said softly, trying to calm her down.

But she started to rant, her words coming out in a frantic stream. "My ancestors... they were burning alive... I could feel it... the pain... the fear..."

None of it made sense to me, but I knew she needed comfort. I sat beside her on the bed, wrapping my arms around her, stroking her hair gently. "Shhh, it's okay. You're safe now. Breathe with me."

Slowly, she began to calm down, her breathing evening out as she leaned into my embrace. Her eyes met mine, and I saw the raw vulnerability in them. My heart skipped a beat, my usual cold demeanor melting away. In that moment, everything else faded, and it was just the two of us.

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

I nodded, unable to find the right words. We stayed like that for a while, sharing an intimate silence. Finally, I lifted her gently and carried her back to her room, tucking her into bed. She looked up at me, her eyes heavy with exhaustion but calmer now.

"Get some rest, Scarlett," I said softly, brushing a strand of hair from her face.

"Goodnight, Maya," she murmured, already drifting off.

I stood there for a moment, watching her sleep, my mind a whirl of confusion and emotions. The moment we shared left me unsettled. As I returned to my own room, I couldn't shake the feeling of Scarlett in my arms, the way she had looked at me. It was a moment of unexpected intimacy that left me questioning everything that I thought I had let go of.

Lying in bed, I stared at the ceiling, trying to make sense of my feelings. My heart was still racing. I just wasn't sure how or what it meant. But one thing was clear: Scarlett wasn't just a mission or a duty. She was someone I cared about deeply no matter how much I tried to deny it, and that realization scared me more than anything.