Chapter 16: Maya

The journey to the Capitol building had been tense, and the darkness of night only heightened our anxiety. As we pulled up to the imposing structure, its grand silhouette outlined against the night sky, I took a deep breath. This was it. We had to get to the labyrinth beneath and find my aunt.

Kyle killed the truck's engine, and we quietly slipped out, motioning for Blaine and Miles to follow. The boys looked more anxious than ever, their eyes darting around as if expecting danger at every turn. I gave them a reassuring smile, hoping to instill some confidence.

"So do we just walk in?" Kyle asked.

Blaine walked ahead of us and up the stairs to the grand wooden door. He opened his hands and moved them in a circular motion until a blue circle grew on the door. The circle began to produce an image of a dark hall.

Miles nodded at me and Kyle before walking up the steps and through the image.

"More magic shit...why am I surprised? I have no idea." I said aloud.

He nodded, taking a deep breath. His hands moved with growing confidence as he traced the runes in the air, and a shimmering portal began to take shape before us. The light it emitted was faint, casting eerie shadows on our faces.

With a final flourish, the portal solidified, revealing a dimly lit corridor beyond. I turned to Kyle, who nodded at me, his face set in determination. We stepped through the portal, emerging into the labyrinth beneath the Capitol building.

The air was cool and damp, and the walls were lined with ancient stone, giving the place a forbidding atmosphere. Torches flickered intermittently, casting long shadows. Cells lined the walls, their iron bars a stark reminder of what could happen if we were caught.

I signaled for everyone to be quiet, and we crept forward. The sound of footsteps echoed down the hall, and I motioned for us to hide in a nearby corridor. We pressed ourselves against the cold stone walls, holding our breath as guards passed by, their armor clinking softly.

Once the patrol had moved on, I exhaled slowly and turned to the others. Blaine and Miles were wide-eyed with fear, but they stayed close, their trust in us evident despite their anxiety.

"Stay close," I whispered. "We'll find her."

Moving silently, we advanced through the labyrinth, always on the lookout for more guards. The place was a maze of identical corridors and cell blocks, each turn looking much like the last. I hoped desperately that we were heading in the right direction.

We paused at an intersection, listening for any signs of life. A faint noise reached my ears—a muffled cry from somewhere deeper within the labyrinth. I pointed in the direction of the sound, and we continued, our senses on high alert.

As we approached another set of cells, we saw her—Lillian, tied to a chair, looking exhausted and helpless. An older man stood before her, his voice cold and commanding as he interrogated her.

"Where is the princess?" he demanded.

Lillian's head hung low, but her defiance was evident. "I'm not telling you," she spat, her voice weak but resolute.

Rage bubbled up inside me as I watched the scene. This was Master Odin, the man responsible for my aunt's suffering. I wanted to swoop in and save her. She was pale and bruised around her legs and arms.

Blaine's hand on my arm stopped me. "Don't," he whispered urgently. "It's too dangerous. He's too strong."

But my anger got the better of me. Ignoring Blaine's warning, I stepped forward, ready to confront Odin. As soon as I did, a sudden, paralyzing cold washed over me. Monks, cloaked in dark robes, appeared from the four corners of the room, their hands raised, freezing me in place.