Chapter 39

One step at a time

Weeks passed, and Jeff found himself back in his apartment, alone with his thoughts. The sterile walls offered no comfort, the emptiness around him mirroring the hollow feeling inside. He had tried to piece himself back together, but the weight of everything that had happened clung to him like a shadow he couldn't shake.

His parents had abandoned him, their harsh words echoing in his mind. "What happened to you is a disgrace, Jeff. We can't accept it. We can’t let you bring this shame upon our family."

That was the last thing his mother had said before they cut him off, leaving him to fend for himself.

Jeff had always known that his parents' love was conditional, based on appearances and status, but hearing those words still stung. They had abandoned him when he needed them the most, and that hurt more than he ever thought possible. Now, he was left with nothing but the suffocating silence of his apartment, a constant reminder of his isolation.

The only person who hadn't abandoned him was Mile, his brother. Mile had been there from the beginning, through the pain, the loss, and the darkness that threatened to consume Jeff entirely. But Jeff couldn't help but feel like a burden. Every time he looked into Mile's eyes, he saw the worry, the exhaustion, the weight of being the only one holding him together.

Jeff knew that Mile had his own life, his own problems, and yet here he was, taking care of him, picking up the pieces that Jeff couldn’t handle. "I'm weighing him down," Jeff thought, guilt gnawing at him with every passing day. He felt like a sinking ship, dragging Mile down with him, and it made him feel even more helpless.

Every time Mile came over to check on him, bringing groceries, cooking meals, or just sitting in silence, Jeff felt that guilt deepen. "He should be living his life, not babysitting me," he thought, but he couldn't bring himself to push Mile away. He was the only family he had left, the only person who cared.

Sitting on his couch, Jeff stared out of the window, the city below a blur of movement and life. A life he no longer felt connected to. His wrist still throbbed, a constant reminder of his desperate attempt to escape the pain. But even now, after all the tears and all the nights spent trying to make sense of everything, he still felt lost.

He had lost the baby, lost Bible, lost his parents, and the only thing keeping him tethered to the world was Mile. But how long could that last? How long until Mile gave up on him, too?

The thought terrified Jeff. He didn't want to be alone, but he also didn't want to be a burden anymore.

As the days blurred into nights, Jeff found himself sinking further into his thoughts, the overwhelming sense of abandonment and guilt eating away at him. He didn’t know how to pull himself out, and each passing week made it harder to believe that he could ever feel whole again.

All he knew was that he couldn’t let Mile carry his weight forever. He had to figure out a way to stand on his own again, no matter how impossible it felt. But with his parents gone and the wounds of his past still fresh, Jeff wasn’t sure if he even knew how to start.

Later that evening, Mile came to Jeff’s apartment. His face was drawn, showing the signs of exhaustion, but still, he carried a bag of groceries in one hand. Jeff heard the familiar click of the door opening, and moments later, Mile walked in, his usual soft smile hidden behind tired eyes.

"Hey," Mile greeted softly, kicking off his shoes. "I brought some things for dinner."

Jeff looked up from where he sat on the couch, his eyes heavy from lack of sleep. He hated how much Mile did for him, hated that he couldn't even manage the simplest tasks on his own. But he was too tired to protest, too worn down to stop him. "You don't have to do this, Phi," Jeff murmured. "You're exhausted."

Mile waved off the concern with a shrug. "It's fine, Jeff. I don’t mind. Besides, I know you haven't been eating properly."

Without another word, Mile went into the kitchen and began cooking, the familiar sounds of chopping and sizzling filling the small apartment. Jeff leaned back against the couch, feeling the weight of his emotions press down harder than usual. He knew Mile cared for him, but seeing him so worn down stirred up the same guilt that had been gnawing at him for weeks.

After a while, the smell of food wafted through the room, and Mile called Jeff over to the table. They sat down in the quiet, the clinking of utensils filling the space as they ate.

Halfway through dinner, Mile set his fork down and looked at Jeff with a seriousness that Jeff hadn’t seen in a while.

"Jeff," Mile began, his voice gentle but firm. "I think it’s time for you to start moving on. I know it’s hard. I know you’re hurting. But you can’t stay stuck in this place forever."

Jeff looked down at his plate, his appetite gone. He had heard these words before, from people who didn’t understand. But coming from Mile, they stung more. "I don’t know how," Jeff whispered. "I don’t know how to get past any of this."

Mile reached across the table, resting his hand on Jeff's. "You don’t have to figure it all out at once. But you can start with small steps. You need something to hold on to, something to keep you moving forward."

Jeff didn’t respond, but Mile continued.

"I’ve been talking to someone," Mile said carefully. "A friend of mine—Pong, you might remember him? He’s a business partner of mine. He’s been looking to invest in a new project, and I mentioned you to him."

Jeff blinked, confused. "Me?"

"Yeah," Mile nodded. "I told him about your fashion design skills, how talented you are. And he’s interested, Jeff. He’s looking for a partner, someone who can help launch a new studio. This could be your chance to do something for yourself, to start fresh."

Jeff stared at Mile, disbelief and uncertainty swirling in his chest. "I don’t know, Phi... I don’t think I’m ready."

"You won’t know until you try," Mile said gently. "You’ve always been good at fashion. It’s something you love, right? This could be the step you need to start rebuilding, to focus on something other than the pain."

Jeff’s heart pounded as he took in his brother’s words. The idea of starting something new, of stepping back into the world, felt terrifying. But at the same time, there was a flicker of hope, something he hadn’t felt in a long time.

"Think about it," Mile added softly. "There’s no rush. But it’s an opportunity, Jeff. A real one. You don’t have to do this alone either. I’ll be there with you, every step of the way."

Jeff looked down at his hands, the bandage on his wrist still a stark reminder of how far he had fallen. But maybe, just maybe, this was a way to climb back up—a way to start again.

"I’ll... think about it," Jeff finally whispered, his voice barely audible.

Mile smiled, relief flooding his face. "That’s all I’m asking. Just think about it."

As they finished dinner, the apartment felt just a little less heavy, and for the first time in a long while, Jeff allowed himself to consider the possibility of a future—one where he wasn’t defined by his pain.

Note

The story will have more chapters, and I believe readers will become bored or tired of reading them. only one more chapter remains to end So, I have decided to create a part 2 of Captive.

I hope you guys don't have any problem with that