Chapter 36

Shattered Bonds

Jeff’s body trembled as the tension in the room thickened. Bible’s hand was still resting on his waist when the door suddenly swung open with a loud bang. Mile stood in the doorway, his face flushed with fury, his fists clenched. He had overheard enough to understand the situation, and his heart was already breaking before he even spoke.

“What the hell are you doing here, Bible?” Mile’s voice was sharp, filled with anger and desperation. His eyes flicked to Jeff, who was standing far too close to Bible for his comfort.

Bible didn’t even flinch. His cool demeanor remained intact as he cast Mile a bored look. “Why do you care?” he replied smoothly. “I’m here for Jeff. You don’t need to be involved in this.”

Mile took a step closer, his anger boiling over. “He’s my brother, Bible! He needs me, not you. You’re only here to destroy him, to tear us apart!”

Bible’s smile twisted into something darker. “Brother?” He scoffed, his voice dripping with disdain. “You’re not even blood-related. You think that gives you a right over him? Jeff doesn’t need someone who can’t even stand up for him.”

The accusation hit Mile like a punch to the gut. He was hurt, but he wasn’t backing down. “I don’t care about blood. I’ve been protecting Jeff his whole life. You’re the one who’s using him, manipulating him.”

Bible stepped forward, inching closer to Mile, eyes narrowed. “Manipulating?” He chuckled darkly, leaning in. “You’re just mad because you can’t control him anymore. You had your chance, Mile. Now, he’s with me.”

Before Mile could respond, Jeff, who had been silent until now, stepped between them, trying to diffuse the escalating situation. “Stop it, both of you!” Jeff’s voice wavered, caught between his brother’s fierce loyalty and Bible’s dangerous pull. He reached out to hold Mile back, but as his hand brushed Bible’s, he instinctively grasped it.

That one small action was like a dagger to Mile’s heart. His eyes widened, and he took a step back as if the sight of Jeff holding Bible’s hand physically hurt him. “Jeff…” Mile’s voice broke. “Is this… what you really want? Him?”

Jeff’s heart pounded, his throat tightening as tears filled his eyes. He didn’t know what to say. He needed both of them. He loved his brother, but Bible was… different. He felt safe with Bible, in a way he didn’t quite understand. And now, standing between them, forced to choose, he couldn’t find the words.

Bible’s hand snaked around Jeff’s waist, pulling him closer, and Jeff didn’t resist. His grip tightened around Bible’s hand, and Mile’s heart shattered at the sight.

“So, that’s it?” Mile’s voice was barely above a whisper, but it was full of anguish. “You’re choosing him?”

Jeff’s voice caught in his throat. “I… I don’t know.”