Chapter35

Cracks in the Foundation

Mile stood at the edge of the hospital room, his chest tightening as he watched Jeff lay weak on the bed

Mile stood at the edge of the hospital room, his chest tightening as he watched Jeff lay weak on the bed. Every step toward him felt like walking through a storm, emotions clashing inside him—anger, disbelief, betrayal. His fists clenched at his sides, knuckles white.

“What’s going on between you and Bible?” The words left Mile’s mouth like a challenge, sharp and accusing.

Jeff blinked, confusion written on his face. He slowly sat up, brushing his disheveled hair from his eyes. “What are you talking about?”

Mile’s jaw clenched, his breath coming faster. “Don’t play dumb. I need to know. Did he force you, or was it willing?”

Jeff frowned, a small knot of fear forming in his stomach. “What…what do you mean?”

Mile’s eyes burned, and his voice cracked, louder and harsher than before. “Jeff, you’re fucking pregnant!”

Jeff froze, the weight of Mile’s words hanging in the air. Pregnant. He couldn’t process it. It felt like a punch in the gut, knocking the wind out of him. His hands shook as his mind raced, connecting the dots—the nausea, the exhaustion, the dizziness. It all made sense now, but the realization was like a cruel twist of fate.

Mile stepped closer, desperation in his eyes. “Tell me, Jeff. Did he just…?”

Jeff’s voice was small, trembling. “I… I accepted him.”

Mile’s face crumpled, and a hollow, bitter laugh escaped his lips. His shoulders slumped as if the weight of the world had just crashed onto them. His laughter wasn’t joyous—it was broken, the sound of a man on the verge of collapse.

“You’ve given me the perfect gift, Jeff. You know that?” Mile whispered, the sadness in his voice palpable. His eyes filled with unshed tears, and his gaze darted between Jeff and the floor, struggling to hold it together. “A perfect reminder of how everything I’ve done to protect you… was all for nothing.”

Jeff’s heart shattered as he saw the pain on Mile’s face. The weight of his brother’s sorrow was unbearable. “Phi… please…”

Mile let out a shaky breath, running his hand through his hair as if searching for an anchor in the storm. “I tried everything. I gave you freedom, Jeff. I wanted you to have a life I could never have. Dad always told me I was too soft on you, too lenient. But I didn’t care. I wanted you to live freely, without the chains that held me.”

Jeff’s eyes welled up with tears. He had never heard Mile speak like this before, so raw and vulnerable. “Phi…”

Mile’s voice cracked, and he shook his head, struggling to continue. “I fought them off, Jeff. I didn’t want you dragged into the business, into this mess. I wanted you to be happy. But what do I get in return? You…you accepted *him*.”