Chapter 32

Jeff’s mind was tangled with thoughts of his brother and the impossible situation with Matteo, but despite everything, his heart still longed for Bible. It had been days since he last saw him, and each passing moment made the emptiness grow. He couldn’t stop thinking about Bible—his smile, his touch, the intensity in his eyes. But Jeff knew Bible’s anger hadn’t subsided. The way they had parted still hung over him like a storm cloud.

One evening, after another tense dinner with his family discussing his future with Matteo, Jeff snuck out. He needed space, air—anything to clear his mind from the overwhelming weight of expectations. He found himself wandering towards the park where he and used to go at night. It was the only place he felt like he could breathe.

As Jeff approached the familiar bench, he stopped in his tracks. Bible was there, sitting alone, staring at the ground. His presence felt heavy, almost as if he had been waiting for something—or someone. Jeff’s heart raced. Bible hadn’t tried to reach out since the last time they’d spoken, and Jeff had been too scared to break the silence.

Taking a deep breath, Jeff slowly approached. “Bible,” he said softly, his voice barely above a whisper.

Bible didn’t move at first, but then he turned his head slightly, his sharp gaze landing on Jeff. There was a flicker of something in his eyes—anger, hurt, maybe even longing—but he didn’t speak.

Jeff swallowed, his hands trembling.

Bible finally looked up at him fully, his jaw clenched. “What do you want?”

The coldness in Bible’s voice hit him hard. Jeff could barely hold back the emotions bubbling inside him. “I miss you,” he admitted, his voice cracking.

Bible scoffed, leaning back against the bench. “Do you? Because it sure doesn’t feel like it.”

Bible’s eyes darkened as he stared down at Jeff, his jaw clenched tight. “Do you know you’re going to leave, Jeff? You act like you didn’t know Mark was going to help you.”

Jeff blinked, confusion flickering in his gaze. “I didn’t know, Bible. I swear... they drugged me. I—”

“Drugged you?” Bible scoffed, his voice sharp with disbelief. “So now you're telling me you didn’t have a clue? They just conveniently took you, and you went along with it, just like that?”

Jeff’s hands trembled as he gripped the edge of the table, trying to find the right words. “I didn’t ask for this. I didn’t want any of it! They drugged me, Bible. I wasn’t aware of what was happening until it was too late.”

Bible leaned closer, his face inches from Jeff’s. “And now you’re going to be with Matteo? I heard your marriage is coming soon. Are you ready for that?”

Jeff’s heart sank at the mention of Matteo, the weight of his family’s expectations pressing down on him. He shook his head quickly. “No, Bible. That’s not going to happen. I can’t... I won’t marry him.”

Bible’s eyes narrowed, his voice cutting like a blade. “But your family already decided, didn’t they? You’re just going to go along with it like you always do. What’s stopping you this time, Jeff?”

Jeff’s voice was strained, pleading. “I don’t care what they decided. I can’t marry Matteo. I love him like a brother, but I don’t want this. I don’t want him. I can’t pretend like it’s right when it’s not.”

Bible’s expression hardened, his fingers curling into fists as he took a step back, his gaze never leaving Jeff’s face. “You always say you can’t, Jeff. You can’t fight your family, you can’t make decisions for yourself. But what are you going to do about it?”