Chapter Sixteen (Renesmee)

Jake starts to drive the car towards the house, but I stop him. "No Jake, not yet please. I don't know what to say to them." Jake turns around and goes towards the reservation instead. "Better?" He asks. I nod.
"What am I gonna say to them?" I ask. He sighs. "I don't know Nessie, but I'll figure it out with you." We start passing the first houses inside of the reservation. Soon we pull up to Jake's house. "C'mon. The old man is at Sue's," Jake says. I step out of the car only to be picked up and slung over Jake's shoulder.
"No Jake! Put me down!" I laugh. "No," He replies jokingly, and then growls. "Did you just growl at me?" I ask scoldingly. He laughs. "Maybe I did, maybe I didn't." He carries me into the house, puts me on the couch, and starts tickling me. "Jake! No! Stop!" I'm laughing hysterically.
After about five minutes of tickling me. He stops. "Bad dog," I say, pretending to be mad. He whines like a puppy would. He sits on the couch with me. "No! Bad! Get off the couch!" I say. Then we both break out laughing.
Jake picks me up yet again, and carries me to Emily's. "Hey Nessie." She says. The whole pack calls me Nessie. I like to think of it as their term of endearment. "Hey Emily," I reply, wishing I never had to go home. "Where is everyone?" Jake asks.
Emily doesn't have to answer though, because just then, Quil walks through the door and says. "I smell bloodsucker. Oh wait, it's just you Nessie." The pack is used to my fast growing. Jake growls while everyone else, including me, laughs.
I give Jake a look that says "stop right now," And he does. Have I mentioned that he's always been very protective? We stay at Emily's with the pack until about nine, when I actually start to get sleepy. Jake takes one look at my face, picks me up yet again, and tells everybody bye. I just manage to say "bye" before Jake carries me out of the house.
"My house or yours?" He asks me. "Can I just go home tomorrow?" I ask in reply. He nods his head and says "Of course, Nessie." He carries me all the way back to his house and to his room. He gives me one of his t-shirts to change into and steps out. It smells like him. It smells safe.
Just as Jake walks back in, my cell phone rings. There are only three people who know my number. Tanya, Dad, and Liam. Liam is my "big brother" Dad and Tanya adopted the week before I got there. We got really close in the time I was there. Jake raises his eyebrows at me. I hold up one finger and look at the caller ID. Liam.
I answer by saying "Hello?" "Ness?" Liam asks. Jake can hear my whole phone conversation. He growls at hearing a boy's voice. "Where are you?" He demands. "Is anybody home?" I ask. "No, T
they went shopping. Now Ness, where are you?" he asks.
"I-I'm at home," I tell him. "Ness! Mom and Dad are really angry. I'm calling to warn you. They're coming to get you. They're leaving in the morning," He says. I'm officially terrified.
"Liam! How do they know where I am?" I ask him.
"They smelled the wolf's scent at the corner and guessed." Liam knows that we're vampires. He's human, and he's very scared of Dad and Tanya because of what they do to humans. "Ness, this is insane! Give me the address. I'm coming. I'll stay with you," He says. I know I can trust Liam. I give him the address to the diner Charlie likes so much, and tell him goodbye.
When I hang up, Jake is looking at me confused and maybe a bit hurt. I know why. I know I'm his imprint, and here is a boy he doesn't know, calling me. His shape starts to blur a bit. "Shh Jake stop. It's okay. Just let me explain," I tell him. He goes back to normal.
"Sorry Nessie." He says. "It's no big deal," I tell him. "That boy was Liam. Dad and Tanya adopted him the week before I got there. He's like my big brother," I tell Jake. "Okay," He replies and smiles. "Liam is meeting me in three days at the diner," I say. I then yawn.
Jake lays me down softly on his bed and covers me up. "Just go to sleep Nessie," he says softly. He starts to leave the room, but I pull him down next to me and snuggle into his chest. His arms wrap around me, and it feels like he has a fever. It's a good thing my skin is already a bit colder than usual, because if it wasn't, I would burn up.
As I'm drifting off to sleep, I hear Jake whisper "I love you." I think I said it back, but I may have been too far gone already.