CHAPTER 19: A Love Torn Apart

Luke arrived two hours early at the restaurant, his heart pounding in his chest as he anticipated picking up Kelsey before closing time at midnight. A swirl of anxiety gripped him, and he couldn't shake the feeling that the news he had to share would change everything between them.

As he stepped inside, he spotted Damian bustling around, preparing for the evening rush. Damian looked up and greeted him with an easy smile. "Hey buddy, how are you feeling?" he asked, glancing around the restaurant. "Kelsey is in the staff room on a tea break."

"Okay, I'll go see her quickly," Luke replied, trying to sound more confident than he felt.

He made his way to the staff room, and as he entered, Kelsey came running toward him, her face lighting up with infectious joy. She wrapped her arms around him in a quick but warm hug. "This place was so dragging without you here! I missed you so much," she exclaimed, her voice bright and full of life.

"I missed you too," Luke managed to say, though inside, he felt heavy with the weight of the news he had been carrying.

"I can't believe I'll be missing you for an entire week," Kelsey added, her expression shifting slightly to one of sadness. "I'm definitely not looking forward to working without you." Her face lit up with a smile, but Luke couldn't shake the feeling that this happiness was about to be overshadowed.

He found himself staring at her, his heart aching, unable to articulate the turmoil within. Instead, he wrapped his arms around her tightly, holding her as if he were afraid to let go. He leaned in and kissed her softly. The thought that this might be one of their last few days together weighed heavily on him, especially with the looming reality of his engagement to another woman.

After Kelsey's break, she returned to the dining area, attending to the late-night customers with her usual charm. Luke, meanwhile, assisted Damian in the kitchen, but his mind was elsewhere. He felt like a ghost, moving through the motions while his thoughts swirled around Kelsey and the inevitable conversation that lay ahead. The laughter and chatter of the restaurant faded into the background, replaced by the persistent nagging of his conscience.

As the night wore on, Luke tried to concentrate on the tasks at hand, but every glance at Kelsey reminded him of what he would soon have to say. He wanted to cherish every moment with her, knowing that their time together was dwindling.

Finally, when it was time to leave, Luke turned to Kelsey, his heart racing. "Can we go for a drive first before I take you home? I think I need to get something off my chest," he said, his voice steady despite the turmoil inside.

Kelsey looked at him, her brow furrowing slightly in concern. "Sure, Luke. Is everything okay?" she asked, her tone gentle and inviting.

"Yeah, I just... I really need to talk to you," he replied, his stomach twisting in knots. This was the moment he had been dreading, yet he knew he couldn't put it off any longer.

As they stepped outside into the cool night air, the stars twinkled above them, casting a soft glow over their surroundings. Luke opened the car door for Kelsey, and as she slid into the passenger seat, he took a deep breath, trying to calm the storm inside.

Starting the engine, he pulled out of the parking lot. Kelsey glanced over at him, her expression filled with curiosity and concern. "What's on your mind?" she asked softly, her voice soothing.

Luke glanced at her, feeling the weight of his decision pressing down on him. "I just want to be honest with you about everything that's happening," he began, his voice low. "It's complicated, and I don't want to keep anything from you."

Kelsey nodded, her eyes focused on him, ready to listen. As he drove, Luke felt a mixture of fear and determination. He realized that this drive wasn't just about sharing his burdens; it was about laying everything bare and facing the uncertain future that awaited them both.