CHAPTER 25: Settling in at work

Throughout the rest of the week, Kelsey found her rhythm in her new working environment. Each day felt more comfortable than the last, and she cherished her lunchtime chats with Carmelita, who had quickly become a close friend. Their lunches were filled with laughter and shared stories, and Kelsey appreciated the support and camaraderie of her colleagues. Navigating the workplace dynamics was becoming second nature to her, and she was pleased to notice how impressed her team was with her performance. Her ability to crack complex numbers where even the most experienced colleagues struggled earned her respect and admiration.  While each night, as Kelsey settled into bed, her phone would light up with a sweet message from Luke, wishing her sweet dreams and reminding her of his affection.

As the week came to an end, Kelsey and Carmelita sat together at their favourite lunch spot on Friday afternoon, the atmosphere buzzing with the weekend's anticipation.

"I can't believe we're heading back to campus on Monday," Carmelita said, a mix of excitement and nostalgia in her voice.

"How many days do you have classes?" Carmelita inquired, curious about how their schedules would align.

"Only Mondays and Tuesdays and Thursdays," Kelsey replied. "So I'll be at work Wednesdays and Fridays." What about you?" she asked.

"I'll only be at work on Fridays. All the other days are reserved for classes," Carmelita explained, a hint of disappointment creeping into her tone.

Carmelita contemplated this for a moment before shifting the conversation. "What are you doing tomorrow? Why don't you come over to my place?" Carmelita suggested, her eyes bright with enthusiasm.

Kelsey felt a twinge of regret. "I wish I could come, but I've already made prior arrangements with my friends," she said apologetically. "But I'll definitely see you next week at your party!"

Carmelita's face lit up at the mention of her upcoming celebration. "That's totally fine! I'm just glad you'll be there. It's going to be a lot of fun!"

"Absolutely! I can't wait," Kelsey replied, her excitement matching Carmelita's. The thought of celebrating together made her smile.

"Okay, sure! Let's catch up on Tuesday then," Carmelita said, her expression brightening as she looked forward to their next lunch together.

As they finished their meals, Kelsey felt a sense of contentment wash over her. The week had been filled with new experiences and budding friendships, and she was eager to see what the next week would bring. 

*****

As soon as Kelsey stepped through the door, she felt the familiar comfort of home wash over her. Just as she was about to kick off her shoes and relax, her phone buzzed with a message from Tina. 

"What are you doing tonight? Let's go out for a movie!" Tina's enthusiasm leapt off the screen.

Kelsey paused, considering the invitation. While the idea of a night out sounded appealing, she felt the fatigue from the week settle heavily on her shoulders. "I'm so tired," she responded with a hint of reluctance. "but we can watch the 8pm show, giving me some time to unwind a bit"

"Of course! That sounds perfect," Tina replied almost instantly. "Nora and I will be there at 7 PM to pick you up. 

Kelsey felt a wave of relief mixed with excitement. A night with her friends was exactly what she needed after a long week of work. "Sure, it's a date! I'll be ready," she said, her smile returning as she envisioned the evening ahead.

When they arrived at the movie theater, Tina and Nora wasted no time, making their way to the popcorn queue while Nora headed to the ticket counter to collect their passes. The sweet, buttery aroma of popcorn wafted through the lobby, making Kelsey's mouth water in anticipation of the treat. After a few moments, they regrouped, popcorn in hand, and settled into their seats just in time for the previews to start rolling.