CHAPTER 26: Back to Campus

Monday morning marked the beginning of a new year on campus, a fresh start filled with possibilities. Kelsey completed her morning routine, feeling a mix of anticipation and nerves as she prepared to face the day. Just as she was about to grab her bag, her phone buzzed with a message from Tina.

"Are you ready? I'm on my way to pick you up!" Tina's cheerful tone brought a small smile to Kelsey's face.

"Yes, I'm ready!" Kelsey responded, her heart lifting slightly at the thought of spending time with her friend. A few minutes later, she heard the familiar sound of Tina's car pulling up outside.

As Kelsey climbed into the passenger seat, she noticed the bright sunlight streaming through the windshield and the upbeat music playing softly in the background. "Good morning!" Tina chirped, glancing over at Kelsey with a concerned expression. "Why do you look so sad?"

Kelsey hesitated for a moment, her heart heavy with thoughts of Luke. "I didn't hear from Luke at all over the weekend. I was so accustomed to his sweet night messages that the silence is really getting to me," she admitted, her voice tinged with sadness. The absence of his familiar words felt like a void in her heart, and she couldn't shake the feeling of loss.

Tina sighed, her brow furrowing slightly. "Well, you're the one who chose not to respond to any of his messages. Now you're the one feeling sad about it," she pointed out gently, trying to offer a perspective that might help Kelsey see the situation more clearly.

Kelsey looked out the window, watching the world pass by as the trees blurred together. "I guess he's moved on without me," she replied softly, her heart aching with the weight of her words. The thought of Luke letting go felt like a punch to the gut, and she struggled to come to terms with the reality of their breakup.

"Hey, it's not the end of the world," Tina reassured her, reaching over to squeeze Kelsey's hand. "You're strong, and you'll get through this. Just remember, feelings don't always follow a straight path. It's okay to feel sad, but it's also okay to move forward."

Kelsey appreciated Tina's support, even if it didn't completely ease her heartache. As they drove toward campus, she tried to focus on the day ahead and the opportunities it might bring. The gentle hum of the car and the comforting presence of her friend began to soothe her anxious mind, and she felt a flicker of hope for what lay ahead.

During lunch, Kelsey and Tina found a cozy spot in the bustling cafeteria, the tables filled with laughter and chatter all around them. The warmth of the midday sun streamed through the windows, casting a soft glow on their plates. Kelsey absently poked at her food, lost in her thoughts.

Tina looked over at her friend, her brow furrowing with concern. "Where's your mind? Are you still thinking about Luke?" she asked, her voice gentle yet probing.

Kelsey nodded slowly, her heart heavy. "I don't know what else to think about," she admitted. The weight of her feelings for Luke hung over her like a dark cloud, making it hard to focus on anything else.

"Let's talk about your birthday to distract you a bit," Tina suggested, trying to inject some excitement into the conversation. Kelsey's birthday was just around the corner, and Tina was eager to plan something special.

Just as Tina mentioned the birthday plans, she caught sight of Timothy walking toward them, a friendly smile on his face. "I know what can distract you," Tina said, her eyes lighting up with mischief.

Kelsey raised an eyebrow, intrigued yet skeptical. "What?" she asked, curious about what Tina had in mind.

"Timothy!" Tina replied, her tone playful. "He's heading this way with a friend."