CHAPTER 39: Shattered Dreams

The next morning, Kelsey slowly stirred awake in Luke's bed. As she blinked away the remnants of sleep, she glanced at the clock and felt a wave of panic wash over her—it was 4 a.m. How could we have both fallen asleep? She thought

Heart racing, she quickly jumped out of bed and gently shook Luke awake. "Luke, I need to get home! My mom is going to freak out," she said, urgency lacing her voice.

Still groggy, Luke murmured, "What time does she wake up on Saturdays?"

"She usually wakes up between 7 and 8 a.m.," Kelsey replied, feeling the pressure of time creeping up on her.

"Then stay for another two hours," he said, his voice thick with sleep as he reached out and pulled her back into the warmth of the bed, wrapping his arms around her in a comforting embrace.

Kelsey felt her resolve waver as she sank back into the plush comfort of the bed, enveloped by Luke's warmth. "But what if she worries?" she protested weakly, though the softness of his arms made it hard to think clearly.

"Trust me, two hours will fly by," he replied, his eyes still half-closed but filled with a playful glint. "Besides, I think we could both use a little more sleep."

She hesitated for a moment, weighing her desire to go home against the cozy cocoon they had created together. Finally, she sighed, allowing herself to relax into his embrace. "Alright, just a little longer," she conceded, the tension in her shoulders easing as she nestled closer to him.

As she closed her eyes, the warmth of Luke's body beside her and the rhythmic sound of his breathing lulled her back into a tranquil state. Maybe staying for a little while longer wouldn't be so bad after all.

When Kelsey woke up just before 6 a.m., she was startled to see Luke emerging from the bathroom with only a towel wrapped around his waist. Instantly, her cheeks flushed, and she quickly squeezed her eyes shut, feeling a rush of embarrassment.

"You're going to have to get used to this once we get married," he teased, sitting down next to her and gently cupping her face in his hands. He leaned in to give her a kiss, but she turned her head away, playfully saying, "Get dressed first."

Luke smirked at her response, clearly amused, and jumped up to quickly put on some clothes.

After a few minutes, he announced, "I'm done! You can look now." He approached her again, leaning down to plant a kiss on her lips, which sent butterflies fluttering in her stomach.

"I'm sorry I didn't wake you last night. The thought of you waking up next to me got me excited," he admitted, a sheepish grin spreading across his face as he ran a hand through his messy hair.

Kelsey chuckled softly, shaking her head with mock disapproval. "You are so sneaky," she teased, her eyes sparkling with affection.

As he leaned in to kiss her once more, his expression shifted to one of earnestness. "Why don't we go get our marriage license in the meantime? We can make it official before the wedding celebration. I'm deeply in love with you, Kelsey. I don't think I can wait any longer. I want to wake up next to you every morning."

Kelsey felt her heart flutter at his words, a warm rush of emotion flooding her. The idea of taking that step together was exhilarating, yet it also felt monumental. "I love that idea," she replied, her voice softening. "But let's talk about it after the meeting with our parents. I think it's important for them to be part of this decision."

Luke nodded, understanding the weight of her words. "You're right. I want them to be on board with our plans." He took her hands in his, his gaze steady and sincere. "I just want to make it all real. The thought of making you my wife fills me with so much happiness."