CHAPTER 18: The Breakfast Conversation

At the Sterling home, Luke and his father sat at the breakfast table, enjoying the meal prepared by Anna the cook. The sun streamed through the large windows, casting a warm glow in the spacious dining room, but Luke's heart felt heavy as he sensed a conversation looming.

"So, you and that young girl you were holding hands with yesterday, are you dating?" Mr. Sterling asked, his eyes narrowing slightly as he observed his son.

"Yes, Dad, we are," Luke replied, trying to keep his tone light despite the tension he felt building inside him.

"How long has this been going on?" Mr. Sterling inquired, taking a sip of his coffee.

"We only started dating on Tuesday," Luke said, a hint of pride in his voice as he thought about Kelsey.

His father leaned back in his chair, a frown creasing his brow. "Then you'll have to break it off with her before you fall in love with her," he stated matter-of-factly.

Luke's heart sank at the words. "But I'm already in love with her, Dad," he confessed, the sincerity behind his declaration evident in his eyes.

"How can you be in love with her after such a short period?" Mr. Sterling asked, his tone skeptical.

"Because I've liked her for an entire year but couldn't bring myself to ask her out until now," Luke explained, his voice steadier than he felt. "This isn't just a fling for me; it's something real."

"I'm sorry, son, but you'll have to break it off with her before your feelings grow deeper," Mr. Sterling insisted, his tone leaving no room for argument.

"Why?" Luke asked, desperation creeping into his voice. "What's so wrong with being in love?"

"Because I'm announcing your engagement this weekend to Cammy," Mr. Sterling stated flatly, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

Luke's heart dropped, tears stinging his eyes as the weight of his father's words sank in. "Please, Dad, you can't do this to me," he pleaded, his voice trembling.

"We've talked about this," Mr. Sterling replied, his voice firm. "You knew this was going to happen. Why did you allow yourself to fall for someone else? This arrangement was made three years ago already, it became inevitable that the two of you should get married."

"But Cammy and I don't even like each other that way," Luke protested, frustration bubbling to the surface. "We have more of a sibling connection."

Mr. Sterling's expression hardened, as if he were preparing for a battle. "The Harringtons are our only chance to maintain a majority stake in our company. We cannot lose this opportunity. It's non-negotiable. You'll have to marry Cammy, and you'll fall in love along the way."

Luke felt a mix of anger and sorrow rise within him. He couldn't comprehend how his father could prioritize family arrangements over his happiness. "But Dad, love should come first! Can't you see that?"

"Life isn't always about what we want, Luke," Mr. Sterling replied, his voice taking on a tone of finality. "It's about what is expected of us. I expect you to uphold your end of this arrangement. You'll thank me for it one day."

As Luke sat there, a deep sense of despair washed over him, and he began to understand the weight of the situation. The mere thought of losing Kelsey, of being thrust into a future he desperately didn't want, felt like a nightmare unfolding before him. It was more than just fear; it was a profound sadness that gripped his heart. With a heavy sigh, he returned to his room, trying to distract himself as he waited to pick Kelsey up for work.

A few hours later, Luke found himself parked outside Kelsey's home, anxiously waiting for her to finish getting ready. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Prescott. Is Kelsey ready for me?" he asked when her mom appeared at the door.