CHAPTER 29: Tangled Emotions

Luke's eyes widened in surprise as he looked from Carmelita to Kelsey. "Kelsey?" he exclaimed, his voice filled with mix emotions.

"Hi, Luke," Kelsey greeted, her heart racing as she tried to maintain her composure.

"You two know each other?" Carmelita asked, her brow furrowed in confusion.

"Yes, we attend the same university," Kelsey quickly interjected, hoping to keep things light.

Tina, observing the emotions flaring up in Kelsey's eyes, leaned in and whispered, "We don't have to stay if it's uncomfortable."

"No, it's fine," Kelsey replied, trying to shake off her unease.

"So Luke and Carmelita, when is the big day?" one of Carmelita's friends asked, eager to know more.

"We're not sure yet, but our parents are thinking sometime during autumn, which is in about three months," Carmelita replied. 

"Wow, you must be excited!" one of her friends chimed in.

"Well, see the happiness on my face!" Carmelita laughed, pulling her mouth wide with her fingers in a mockery of a forced smile.

"Well, that makes two of us," Luke added.

Kelsey felt a wave of emotions crashing over her, and she couldn't take it anymore. Overwhelmed, she quickly turned to Carmelita and said, "I won't be able to stay any longer. I actually just came to drop off the gift, as Tina still has to go somewhere."

"Oh no, are you sure?" Carmelita asked, disappointment etched across her face. "We haven't even had dinner yet!"

Kelsey's heart sank at the sight of Carmelita's reaction. "It's okay, we can catch up at work," she reassured her, feeling a mix of guilt and relief. "But thank you for having us here."

As Kelsey and Tina prepared to leave, Luke called out, "Wait, Kelsey!" His voice was urgent as he rushed out to follow her, and Kelsey felt her stomach drop.

Carmelita, sensing something was off, watched the scene unfold with a furrowed brow.

Once outside, Luke caught up with Kelsey, grabbing her gently by the arms. "Kelsey, please! We need to talk," he urged, his eyes searching hers.

Kelsey turned around, her voice steady but firm. "Luke, we have nothing to say to each other."

"Please, just give us a chance," he pleaded, desperation lacing his tone. "I love you, Kelsey. I'll break off the engagement with Cammy if you just give us a chance."

Tears welled in Kelsey's eyes as she struggled to process his words. "I love you too, Luke," she admitted, her voice trembling with emotion and tears spilling down her cheeks. "That's why I don't want to be the reason for your downfall. And now that I know that your fiancée is Carmelita, it's bringing closure to my heart. It confirms that we can't be together."

"What did you just say?" Luke asked, confusion etched on his face.

"I said I don't want to be the cause of your downfall," Kelsey reiterated, her heart aching.

"No, before that," Luke insisted, his emotions flaring as tears streamed down his face. "You said you love me, didn't you?" With that, he pulled her in tightly, kissing her passionately.

Kelsey felt herself giving in, her heart racing, but she quickly pulled away, her breath shaky. "I can't, Luke. You can't do this to Carmelita."

Just then, she spotted Carmelita from a distance, watching the scene unfold with tears glistening in her eyes. Panic surged through Kelsey. Oh no, this was not supposed to happen this way.