CHAPTER 15: The Rich Kid Dilemma

Wednesday morning, the breakfast table was filled with sweet scent of pancakes drizzled with maple syrup. Kelsey sat there, her mood radiating joy as she beamed at her mother, Ms. Prescott, who was busy arranging the cutlery.

"You look particularly cheerful today," Ms. Prescott remarked, glancing up from her task, a curious smile forming on her lips.

"Mom, I'm dating someone!" Kelsey exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"That's nice!" Mrs. Prescott responded, her interest piqued. "Who is the lucky guy? I hope it's not some rich, spoiled kid." Her tone shifted to one of protectiveness, as if she had anticipated this moment.

Kelsey felt a wave of frustration wash over her. "Oh, not this again, Mom," she sighed, rolling her eyes. "Can't you just be happy for me?"

"I'm serious, Kelsey," Mrs. Prescott insisted, her expression firm and concerned. "Those kids can be trouble. They will just end up breaking your heart. We should never cross paths with those types. They don't care about our feelings, and they usually just end up with people from their own social circles. So I hope you're not involved with some rich kid."

Kelsey bit her lip, feeling a pang of guilt at the thought of lying to her mother. "Don't worry, Mom, he's not rich," she said, trying to sound convincing. The truth was that Luke came from a well-off family, but he was anything but spoiled.

Mrs. Prescott studied her daughter's face, her concern deepening. "I just want you to be careful, sweetheart. I know how easily someone can get hurt in relationships, especially when they're young. Just promise me you'll keep your eyes open."

"I promise, Mom," Kelsey replied, attempting to reassure her. "This guy is different from what you think. He treats me really well, and he's genuinely kind."

Mrs. Prescott softened at her daughter's words, recognizing the sincerity in Kelsey's voice. "Okay, I trust you," she said, her tone a bit lighter. "But remember, I'm always here for you, no matter what. I just want to see you happy and safe."

Kelsey felt a rush of affection for her mother, grateful for her love and protection. "I know, and I appreciate it," she said, her smile returning. "You'll meet him soon, and I think you're really going to like him."

"I hope so," Mrs. Prescott replied, her smile growing. "Just make sure to introduce him properly. I want to see what he's all about."
"Mom, I'm just going to the mall to get some school supplies," Kelsey called out as she grabbed her bag. "It's still a few hours before work starts."

"Okay, sweetie, just be careful of your surroundings," Mrs. Prescott replied, her voice filled with motherly concern. Kelsey nodded, knowing her mom only wanted the best for her.

As she stepped outside, the sun warmed her face, and she took a deep breath, feeling a mix of excitement and anticipation for the day ahead. Almost immediately, her phone buzzed in her pocket. It was a text from Luke, and her heart skipped a beat.

"Hey babe, can I pick you up for work later?"

The sweet nickname took her by surprise, making her cheeks flush. She hesitated for a moment, unsure how to respond.
"No, I'm not ready for that," she texted back. "Besides, if you want to pick me up, it shouldn't be in your Ferrari. I'll chat with you about it later. I'm on my way to the mall now."

She felt a little guilty for pushing him away, but the thought of being picked up in the Ferrari while she had just told her mom he's not rich, made her nervous.

"Can I get you there?" Luke replied almost instantly. "I want to spend some time with you before work."

Kelsey bit her lip, considering his offer. "Umm, okay. If you want to," she finally responded, her heart fluttering at the idea of seeing him soon.