CHAPTER 30: Reunited

In the morning, Luke approached his dad with a determined expression. "Dad, I'm just going to walk over to Cammy's place," he announced.

Mr. Sterling looked at Luke, puzzled, as if he assumed his son had accepted the situation as it was. "Sure, son. I'll see you later," he replied, sipping his coffee, still engrossed in the newspaper.

Luke stepped out, heading to Cammy's house, which was just three doors down. As he approached, he felt a surge of anticipation.

"Hi, Luke! What brings you here so early in the morning?" Mrs. Harrington greeted him warmly as he entered.

"I'm just here to get Cammy. Is she ready for me?" Luke asked, his excitement barely contained.

"Oh, she's in her room," Mrs. Harrington replied, directing him. Without wasting a moment, he rushed to her room and knocked lightly on the door.

"Come in!" Cammy's voice called from inside.

Luke entered, finding her in front of the mirror. "Are you ready?" he asked eagerly.

"Have a seat; I just want to put on my makeup," Cammy replied, a playful smile spreading across her face.

"Hurry, I can't wait!" Luke urged, tapping his foot in anticipation.

"Okay, okay, I'm coming!" she laughed, trying to hurry her routine.

Just as they were about to leave, Luke pulled Cammy into a warm embrace. "Thank you for doing this. It means the world to me," he said, his voice sincere and filled with gratitude.

As they arrived at Luke's home, they found Mr. Sterling still sipping his coffee, completely absorbed in the newspaper.

"Hi, Cammy! What do you two have up your sleeves today?" he asked, looking up with a friendly smile.

Luke wrapped his one arm around Cammy and jokingly asked, "Dad, do we look like lovers or more like siblings?"

"Both," Mr. Sterling replied with a chuckle. "Lovers can sometimes act like siblings too. Cammy has always felt like a daughter to me, so you marrying her would make her my daughter-in-law. I love that for you."

"But that's exactly why we're here," Luke said, his expression turning serious. "We don't have romantic feelings for each other.

Uncle Roy, can you honestly picture us kissing? The thought alone makes me cringe. Imagine sharing a bedroom!" Cammy interjected.

Luke nudged Cammy playfully to stop with the details, but she only smirked in response.

"Oh really? I always thought you loved Luke. That's why I didn't want you to feel hurt," Mr. Sterling said, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course we love each other," Cammy clarified, "but it's more like a brother-sister type of love, thanks to the bond we've built growing up together."

"So you both feel the same way?" Mr. Sterling inquired, looking between them.

"Yes!" they both replied in unison, a sense of relief washing over them.

Mr. Sterling leaned back, contemplating. "So you want to be with that Kelsey girl?"

"Yes, Dad, please!" Luke said, his eagerness palpable.

"Uncle Roy, if you're going to object, you might regret it. He confided in me that he had an urge to run away with Kelsey. Luckily, she didn't accept out of love for Luke. She's this selfless girl who loves him so much that she declined his proposal out of fear that she would be his downfall," Cammy added, her tone serious.