Chapter 12

EXCUSES AND TRUTHS

Mom led Mrs. Paliza to our gate, as the latter was about to leave. The ladies still had some “before we leave” conversations and spent a few more minutes chatting outside. Dad remained silently seated but I could say that he is serious and about to explode. Oh dear, I am on their menu tonight.

After few minutes, Mom and Ma’am Paliza bid each other. Hell it’s about time!

“Now explain yourself young man! Your professor told us everything!” Loree exclaimed.

Oh god what must I do? If I tell them the truth, for sure they wouldn’t believe me, worse Mom might think that I am doing something wrong…

“You’ve been acting strange lately Elmo, we hear you talk in your room as if you’re talking to someone. I caught you smelling intently on your book. Now this?” Loree continued.

“Mom… I am…” God I am so confused “… I am confused…” oh no I slipped my tongue!

“Confused of what?” Percy joined in.

Oh this is getting bad! Usually, Dad just let Mom do all the talking and he’ll just give his conclusion as to the issue at hand. But now he’s been asking questions too, I sure caught his interest this time…

“Co-confused of what I want… I-I mean what I wanted to-to be….?” Oh shoot! I do not know what I am saying!

“Huh? Confused of what you want?” Now Dad is really upset… come one Elmo think quick!

Then Mom uttered the most brain exploding conclusion of all “Elmo, son…” Loree sat and held Elmo’s hands “are you gay?”

 “Mom NO!”

“Son you said you do not know what you want. You do not know what you wanted to be. I saw the morning talk show a while ago and they said that these are the signs of being gay.”

Stupid talk shows! Look what have you done!

“Elmo, don’t worry nothing’s going to change if you are gay. Your mother and I will not disown you…” Percy interrupted.

“Dad! No, you got it all wrong!”

“Then what is it?” Loree made a puzzling expression.

“I-I am just confused because I am already in my early 20’s but I am still in college. This is the reason why my batch mates always pick on me. I feel like I am the weakest link in the class.” Uhm… well okay, I hope that works.

Dad and Mom went silent for a moment. “Son it’s really fine to admit that…” Loree was about to insist.

“Mom that’s absurd!”

“Your mother and I always wanted to have a daughter…” Percy grinned.

“Dad! Come on! Not that kind of joke.”

Then the two laughed and embraced me.

“That’s it?” Elmo asked.

“Yeah? Why is there something more?” Percy asked.

“Uhm, aren’t you going to scold me?”

“Why should we?”

What the hell happened?

Then as I stood up I noticed someone running away from our window. I run after the door to see who it was but a lot of doves flew right in front of my face.