Chapter 4

FIRST PARADOX

1312

“King Manfred” Wilhelm said, “You know that our countries are still at war…” He added.

“I am fully aware of that.” Manfred glared at Wilhelm.

“Then I suppose that our deal should be done. You don’t want further bloodshed don’t you?”

“Thou art threatening me? Thou seem to forget that Saint John has stood against thy country for Two Centuries. No matter how small we are, thy sophisticated weaponry is still no match to our sharp blades.”

“Bold as ever.” Wilhelm started to walk away. “You are lucky that during those times I was still a young boy when you fought our best soldier. For if I was of this age back then, the war could have ended on our favor.” Wilhelm went out.

Manfred gripped his fist.

***

“Faster Zephyr!”

Prince Wilhelm the great, the person who almost turned the tides of war. I can believe that Father would agree to let me be the Prince’s bride in exchange for ending the war. Can he not think of a better diplomacy treaty? Our small country has been resisting Ottoman Empire’s influence for more than a century now. This war has been fought by My Father’s Father and those before him. I know I may be the key to end everything but I just can’t accept that I’ll be sharing the bed with someone I don’t completely know! I hope father will come to his senses. However, neither Prince nor King can ruin what I want to do today.

“Hyaa! Slow down Zephyr! Hmmm…What a lovely farm.”

I do hope this is the place. “Knock! Knock!”

“Oh! Princess Julieanne!” The good old Francesco bowed “Oh please come in.” He dropped the firewood that he was carrying.

“Pleasure Francesco. I had a hard time looking for thy house. The Guildsmen had no record as to your whereabouts.”

He laughs, “I didn’t join any guild. I feel that their rules won’t give me enough room for my creativity.” Francesco smiled.

“Creativity?” Julieanne wondered.

“Oh. You haven’t noticed it? Look behind you.” Francesco smiled again.

***

2012

“Francesco!” Elmo stormed the antique shop.

“Another bull in a Chinese shop.” Francesco smiled.

“What is happening?”

“I don’t know, you tell me.”

“Please enough with the games Francesco…”

“Butch, I prefer Butch…”

“Fine, Butch, Last night, the book that you gave me…”

“…was amazing? I know.” Butch continued.

“Yeah, I mean No! It freaked me out!”

“Oh you’re a bad liar Elmo! I am sure you enjoyed conversing with Julieanne last night.” Butch laughed.

“Well… wait, hang on, how did you know her?”

“Of course, I was the one who gave her the book, she told you didn’t she?”

“Wait, this is not possible…”

“Why what is it that bothers you my boy?” Francesco smiled as if he knows what exactly happened “Was the book too much for you to comprehend?” He added.