Engaged without a proprosal..

Samia POV*

My eyes bore into his.. our wills silently battling each other. He impatiently tapped his long fingers upon his golden throne. His long, straight, silver-white hair, tucked behind his pointy ears. His steely, grey eyes usually held kindness and wisdom.. but at the moment they showed how clearly frustrated he was with me.

"I refuse to be forced into a loveless marriage father."

Illios sighed, "My child, I have ruled for far too long now.  You must accept your royal duty and reign in my stead."

I was baffled at how easily he dismissed my notions on the matter.  I am merely asking to be able to choose who I am to spend the rest of my life with! I wasn't aware it was too much to ask for from a princess with a royal duty.

"Don't make me do this, please.." I made one last feeble attempt to reason with him.  His only answer was a raised eyebrow in warning. I sighed defeatedly. I conjured my wings and as I prepared to take off, he cleared his throat and said, "Cairos will be here at sundown. Don't be late."

Oh joy...

I flew up to my balcony and swung open the double doors that led to my bedroom. The white curtains blew wildly with the force of the wind that trailed behind me. I sat down on my bed and cradled my head in my hands as tears escaped my eyes.

I looked up at my mirror and stared back at my reflection. I look like I haven't slept in days, my eyes puffy from crying and I had mascara running down my cheeks.  Many say that my beauty rivals that of the goddess' themselves. It's even rumored that Aphrodite herself graced me with it when she whispered a soft kiss upon my mother's belly while I was still in her womb. "Sure", I said aloud as I wiped at my eyes. "Real beauty."

After I grew tired of feeling sorry for myself, I let down my mental barrier for Keira and reached out to her.

'Where are you?'

'My room. What happened? Did you remind the caveman that arranged marriages are completely outdated?', she questioned in my head.

'He is set on his decision to condemn me to a life of misery.'

Ugh, I need some air. 

'Meet me in the terrace in half an hour and lets head into town', I thought back to her.

'Okay, I could go for a drink right now anyway.  Luka is getting on my last nerve!' she said, right before cutting off our link.

I smiled as I thought about her relationship with Luka. As much as they argued, they loved each other just as fiercely. If only I were given the chance to find my soul-mate. Instead, I have to settle for an arrogant fae knight who really only cares about becoming king.

I left my bed and walked into my closet. I rummaged through my clothes and picked out fitted black jeans to compliment my black, long-sleeve, lacey blouse. I grabbed my tan stilettos and marched back in my room with a vengeance.

Like hell I'm staying here to play nice with the dark fae king, Cairos. No doubt he's bringing some of his elected hopefuls with him. One kingdom is just not enough for him.  He has to have ours too!  Cairos is my uncle and I know him better than anyone here and the only thing he's ever cared about is power.

No one knows this but, there are times when I often hear a seducing voice inside of my head. This voice forever plagues my mind with ill thoughts, and the more I try to resist it, the stronger it pushes.  Lately, I find myself almost giving in to it unwillingly but thank goddess that in the end, I don't.