fourteen

alexandra

About five minutes later, Luke finally comes downstairs fully dressed. He had on his gray sleeveless shirt and usual black skinny jeans with all black shoes on his feet. I didn't notice Luke do anything with his hair except maybe brush it. It seemed like he just tamed his bed head.

"Nice hair." I joked and Luke rolls his eyes before slipping his phone in his front pocket.

"God, why are y'all so loud." Madi whines from the top of the stairs, beginning to walk down. She still had on her pajamas and her hair was a mess. Just like mine when I first woke up.

"We're going to the racetrack." I mention and Madi's face lights up. I knew that was my cue to leave.

"Can I come?" Madi asks and I take a glance at the time on my phone. I was supposed to be there fifteen minutes ago.

"You can meet us there." I groan and walk towards the front door with Luke following. "I should be at the track by now." I add and walk out of the door, not waiting for Madi to answer. I had a habit of being punctual, which I got from my mom.

I go over to the separate garage while twirling the car keys around my finger. Luke watches me as I press the code into the garage keypad.

"Why didn't you just enter the garage through the house?" Luke asks in confusion when the garage door starts to open. The entrance to the garage was connected to the house.

"I wanted to get away from Madi." I smile and a grin tugs on his lips. The garage door fully opens and comes to a stop, revealing the collection of cars.

"C'mon we're late," I rush and grab a set of keys belonging to a dark blue Lexus. I lead Luke to the car and his jaw drops when I stop at it.

"So I guess you like my baby." I gestured towards the car and Luke nods. "Do you want to drive it?" Luke nods again speechlessly and I chuckle. I toss the keys in Luke's direction, which he gladly catches. "You're gonna have to adjust the driver's seat though." I get in the passengers side and Luke gets in halfway before having to push back the seat.

"Stupid long legs." Luke mutters and finally sits in the leather seat.

"Hey, your legs are cool though." I point out and laugh a bit. "The car's push start, so press the brakes and just press the button" I explain and he puts the keys in the cup holder. You can't start the car without the keys in range.

Luke presses the brakes carefully with his right foot before pressing the start button near the steering wheel. The engine roars to life and Luke smiles in excitement. Luke's bottom lip was between his teeth as he puts the gear stick in drive.

"I can't believe you trust me with this car." Luke says as he cautiously drives out of the garage. The garage immediately closes afterwards and Luke drives out of the driveway. I direct him to the back way to the race track. My father and I took this way all the time. I still take it because it gets you there quicker.

"Well I kissed you before so I must trust you." I say and I notice Luke tense. "What, you thought I wouldn't remember?"

"I was sort of hoping." Luke mumbles but I still hear it.

"Oh, sorry. I'm a changed woman." I apologize and Luke breaks into laughter. "All this remembering is like a milestone in my life. I have to tell someone or I think I'll forget it forever." I chuckle and Luke smiles at me.

"Why'd you let me drive this car?" Luke asks when we stop at a red light. Both hands gripped the steering wheel and his eyes were glued on the road. He notices how negative the question came out and quickly added, "I mean I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering." The light turned green and he presses on the gas pedal.